Horror Game Writing

Started by
2 comments, last by JohanFos 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Hello, my name's John and I'm currently attempting to create an interesting and enjoyable story line for a survival horror game. I love games like Resident Evil and Silent Hill and the goal with this game is to pay homage to these original titles while maintaining its own unique story. Though I love the original Resident Evil I don't want my storyline to feel as campy as that first game, does any one of any suggestions on how to go about doing this to make the story stay engaging to the player whilst also not being super campy?

None

Advertisement

Have you played the Resident Evil remake (gamecube or HD version)? I don't think that one is very campy compared to some videos I've seen of the 1996 original. Same for RE7, which I think has the best story of the RE games. Silent Hill 2 is also excellent without much camp. Pay attention to what those games are doing better than other entries in the series.

Make the situations in your game believable. If something is totally ridiculous (e.g. boulder-punching Chris Redfield), the player has a hard time immersing themselves. The premise of your game needs to seem like something that could happen tomorrow, without physics-defying monsters (looking at you again RE5/6). Compare the enemies and bosses of REmake versus later games - REmake has plausible zombies and mutated creatures (Lisa Trevor is a highlight), while other RE games have people turning into 10-story high sea monsters in less than a minute. Focus more on psychological horror rather than the spectacle of body horror.

Creating an engaging and intriguing story for a survival horror game that pays homage to classics like Resident Evil and Silent Hill while avoiding being epigonic can be a grueling but satisfying task. Then are some tips to help you achieve this Keep the story realistic Although survival horror games frequently claw into supernatural or unearthly rudiments, keeping the story in a credible and realistic terrain can help maintain a sense of absorption and suspension. Focus on cerebral horror and mortal emotion rather thanover-the-top scripts. produce completely developed characters produce complex and credible characters with their own provocations, fears, and excrescencies. This will make players watch about their survival and invest in the outgrowth of the story. Maintain a serious tone While some moments of dark humour can work well, avoid exorbitantly vulgar or gooey comedy. Stick to a serious and tense atmosphere that will keep players on their toes. Use subtle liar rather of ladle- feeding the story to the players, use environmental history and subtle suggestions to convey the plot. Allow players to piece together the story as they progress through the game, creating a sense of riddle and conspiracy. figure on cerebral horror Focus on the rudiments of cerebral horror, similar as pressure, suspension, and a sense of helplessness. Use atmospheric sound design, lighting, and visual goods to produce an creepy and nipping experience. Introduce moral dilemmas Include moral choices and opinions that affect the plot and character development. This adds depth to the story and makes players worry about the consequences of their conduct. produce unique adversaries and challenges Paying homage to classic horror games, produce new and original adversaries and challenges. This will keep the gameplay fresh and unanticipated. Avoid clichés When drawing alleviation from classic horror homilies, try to avoid stereotyping clichés that can make the story predictable. lessen prospects and introduce unanticipated twists and turns to keep players guessing. Pace the story effectively Balance moments of violent action with slower, more atmospheric studies. A well- paced narrative will keep players engaged and fascinated in the unfolding events. Test the game and collect feedback Throughout the development process, test the game with a different group of players and collect feedback. This will help you upgrade the story and make sure it resonates with a wide followership. Flash back that the key is to strike the right balance between homage and originality. By resting the story in literalism, developing compelling characters, and fastening on cerebral horror, you can produce a survival horror game with a unique and compelling plot that pays homage to the classics but also stands on its own graces. I got this advice here

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement