An example of a nice movement technique

Started by
1 comment, last by troutsneeze 7 months, 2 weeks ago

Hello everyone. It's been a long time since I posted here 🙂
I'm currently trying to get back into gamedev after a long break and actually doing programming for work.

I'm diving deeper into Godot and I can definitely say that I love it. The first project I want to make is a mix of a 2D Platformer and an action RPG. Probably for multiplayer. I've stumbled upon some issues while trying to implement the movement system that feels good. I've played lots of platformers with Celeste being probably the most notable and, obviously, proper movement is key. I know how it should feel, I know what I want but I'm not sure about what are the “best practices” for the implementation. For example, I'm not sure how to properly handle airborne movement and likely states of the character.

So my question is - does anybody have a code snippet/link/technical explanation on how to implement proper movement and jumping in a kind of game I described? Of course code is preferable and I would try to dance from there. But basically any advice would be much appreciated.

The thought that I should work more on that came from GMTK's video on platformer movement but his video wasn't that technical I think.

Thanks to everyone in advance

Advertisement

I have an action RPG with platforming battles. Here's the player entity code which handles jump states and such: https://github.com/troutsneeze/crystal-picnic/blob/main/src/battle_entity.cpp

None

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement