Advertisement

Can you rely on getting a job at a studio because you are young and passionate? (but also have skills)

Started by September 20, 2024 01:22 AM
1 comment, last by Tom Sloper 1 day ago

I have one company set as my dream studio to work at.

I'm young: 19 years old. I have skills in programming, 3D-modeling, and animation, I'm definitely a generalist; i.e., not a master of any of them, but know all of them pretty well.

I really wanna work at this company, but I won't apply just yet. I know that I need to improve my skills and portfolio more. I have done lots of personal projects, but I don't have professional work experience yet.

Sometimes in movies, you see the young and passionate person get a job because they are young and passionate. So I have that slight idea in my mind that my age and enthusiasm will compensate for my actual skills.

Should I ignore that idea completely and focus 100% on just building concrete skills the company will find useful? I'm planning on being ready (skill-wise) to apply within the next 12 months.

silenceDogood said:

Can you rely on getting a job at a studio because you are young and passionate? (but also have skills)

No, you can't rely on it. Especially without a 4-year degree, and especially since there's a lot of talented competition for the job you want.

silenceDogood said:
Sometimes in movies, you see the young and passionate person get a job because they are young and passionate. So I have that slight idea in my mind that my age and enthusiasm will compensate for my actual skills.

Life is not like the movies. Your actual skills matter much more than your enthusiasm and passion. Enthusiasm is expected and normal; mad skillz and talent are not. Don't skip the skill-building, and consider getting a degree to prove you can withstand and push yourself through a prolonged brutal effort.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Advertisement