Is this feasible for a single dev?

Started by
4 comments, last by hplus0603 2 years, 7 months ago

Wasn't really sure where to put this, so I put it in the Lounge.

Anyhow, if you've been playing Eastward (IGN review), I'm wondering if something of this magnitude is within the scope of what a single dev could manage on his or her own?

AFAIK, it was developed by three guys from Shanghai.

None

Advertisement

IMHO (based on my limited experience) : A lot of projects closed after team figure out how long they could work for free, most of such project not even seen by public.
I think project with a lot of Art assets is not good for for small enthusiastic team, since most of successful casual projects, typically based on great idea + programming with very limited, but attractive, art (Minecraft, Tetris, 2048, Flappy Bird…)

None

Thank you for your reply!

None

If three guys can make a game in 2-3 years, then one guy can make the same game in 6-9 years, if he has the same talents as each of the original three people, as well as more discipline and the creativity needed to come up with everything himself without brainstorming with the team.

So yes, but probably no.

matsvederhus said:
if something of this magnitude is within the scope of what a single dev could manage on his or her own?

The easy answer is: If you need to ask, then the answer is “no.”

The harder answer is: If you have sufficient funding, and are OK with outsourcing the chunks of development you can't do yourself, then, probably! But the amount of funding needed would be pretty high (e g, possibly several years salary for several contractors.)

enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement