Building My Own “Game Engine” with Pygame and a 2D Laser Shooter Kit

Started by
10 comments, last by GeneralJist 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Building My Own “Game Engine” with Pygame and a 2D Laser Shooter Kit

Hello everyone!

(free)

currently only developed / tested for windows OS

I wanted to share an exciting project I've been working on: building a "game engine" around the Pygame library, using a unique 2D shooter kit I've developed. This project is still in its very early stages, but I'm thrilled about its potential and would love to get your thoughts and feedback.

The Core of the Project: 2D Laser Shooter Game Kit

The foundation of my project is the 2D Laser Shooter Game Kit. This kit is designed for both beginners and game development enthusiasts, offering an easy and fun way to dive into the world of laser battles. The kit provides all the essentials for creating an action-packed laser shooter game.

Advancing with Kitmaster Engine UI

A significant advancement in my project is the integration of the Kitmaster Engine UI with the 2D Laser Shooter Game Kit. This interface speeds up game development, testing, and distribution. It's incredibly user-friendly, streamlining the entire process and making game development more accessible.

Key Features of Kitmaster Engine UI

Effortless Customization and Testing: Modify game variables like player speed and enemy behavior easily through intuitive controls. The real-time updates feature allows you to see the impact of your changes immediately, streamlining the development cycle. (this can be modified and expanded upon )

Convenient Game Building Tools: The UI includes one-click game building and a built-in script editor for error-free modifications. It’s designed to make the game development process as smooth as possible.

Developer-Centric Design: Whether you're a seasoned developer or a beginner, this UI caters to all. It simplifies complex parts of game development and is backed by a supportive Discord community.

Expanding the Game Kit

The 2D Laser Shooter Game Kit is highly expandable. You can build upon the pre-built template by adding new features like power-ups, different enemy types, and multiple levels. The kit includes customizable graphics, pre-made particle effects, and well-commented scripts for easy modification.

Open-Source and Royalty-Free

An important aspect of this kit is its open-source nature, coded entirely in the Pygame library. This means indie developers can use it without worrying about royalties. Plus, the kit comes with lifetime updates and expansions, continually enhancing your game development experience.

Perfect For...

This project is ideal for aspiring game developers, hobbyists, and educators. It offers a practical way to learn and experiment with game development, perfect for prototyping and quickly testing game ideas.

Seeking Feedback and Collaboration

I'm really excited about where this project can go and would love to hear your thoughts, suggestions, and any feedback you might have. Also, if anyone is interested in collaborating or just discussing game development, feel free to reach out!

if your interested in checking out the project - https://kitmaster.itch.io/laser-shooter-game-kit-2d-game

(discord https://discord.gg/t5BM5SdENz​ available for kit users)

Thanks for reading, and I can't wait to hear from you all!

None

Advertisement

So what is the license of this software?

You claim open source, but it costs money. Depending on the license that may or may not be allowed.

As far as I am concerned, requiring money is not in the spirit of open source software,

@Alberth your mistaken , was not meant to be a “you have to pay ” thing , i misunderstood how itch was structured there is 2 options a “you have to pay” and a free model with a donation option . if you visit it again now you should be able to change the price to $0 and download it. (same for gumroad you can download it free)

None

Thanks for fixing! I'll give it a try 🙂

EDIT: Mentioning the license beforehand would be useful, people can make their decision based on that,

Downl;oaded the file, it has no license.

That means I can't even use it unless you give me personal permission to use. That how copyright works. You're not allowed to touch anything unless you have permission. You an arrange that as indicated, give each and every user explicit permission. Alternatively, add a license that states what my rights and obligations are.

Also, I can't use an EXE file. It's an example, but will this thing build on Linux?

@Alberth maybe i should of stated its for windows sorry , i feel alot of negativity coming from you as im just trying to share a tool i created . the exe was just a packaged playable example of a game . as for the license ill pack it with the proper license . sorry for the hassle, just was excited to share what im working on

None

It's all about managing expectations 🙂

I don't really mind the example windows executable, but it gets me a little worried whether I can even use the software, You didn't state the platforms that you support. Obviously, Python doesn't care, it runs everywhere, but maybe your software does Windows specific things?

to be honest itll probably run on linux however ive never used linux , this is not setup for it as ive only ever developed in windows . i will update the page to better detail this . however if someone is able to get this working for other OS i hope they share there info so that users from all platforms can access this. ive just used windows forever , i need to look into linux so i can better assist those users.

None

No problem, Linux is not a big OS in terms of user base. Windows will win that, with Apple coming in second.

KitMaster said:
i feel alot of negativity coming from you

He wasn't being negative. Just giving you feedback from the POV of an engine user.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement