I"m serious about this

Started by
2 comments, last by Metal Typhoon 21 years, 11 months ago
for whoever had done it please share with me .. what u do in the 4 years of computer science ??? do u learn ASM ?? and one last question and i''m serious about it .. What do u need to know to make an OS ? asm and c++ ?
Metal Typhoon
Advertisement
I had one semester of x86 assembly.

As far as I know, you can write an OS in pretty much any language that can be compiled into code native to the processor you plan on running it on. My operating systems class used pure C (and I mean PURE. C We couldn't even use // comments!). We only wrote certain modules (like CPU scheduling and memory management), but I got the impression that you could do the rest of it just as fine in C, C++, ASM, or whatever. You probably couldn't do it in Perl or Python, though.

/*=========================================*/
/* Chem0sh */
/* Lead Software Engineer & Tech Support */
/* http://www.eFaces.biz */
/*=========================================*/

[edited by - Chem0sh on June 21, 2002 12:23:30 AM]

[edited by - Chem0sh on June 21, 2002 12:24:51 AM]
/*=========================================// Chem0sh// Lead Software Engineer & Tech Support// http://www.eFaces.biz=========================================*/
First year is pretty much just basic CS stuff. Alot of theory (i.e which problems can be solved with a computer & how).

Programming covers: Lists, cues, relations, pointers, trees, rcd-parsers, relations, automatons etc.

Theory was: Ordo, simple algo-analysis, theory behind all above, basic OS stuff, Digital Theory (Gates, flipflops etc) etc.

+ an coding assignement to every one of theese.

Where i''m at they choose ADA95 as *the* language for firstyear students. I didn''t like it. Some of the assignments we did - i would have been more "secure" in some other languange, like C++.

They don''t teach ASM (Since it''s processor dependable), however i think some classes in "digital/electro stuff" includes lowlevel ASM.

Overall CS is pretty cool, but most cool stuff you learn, is from other persons you meet (which is another good reason to go).

Just remeber that ComputerScience is about the sceience of computing which doesn''t nesseserely include a computer.

______________________________Only dead fish go with the main-stream.
Go to the website of any decent school, navigate to their CS department page(s) and look up the curriculum.

Initiative is the greatest skill you''ll ever develop. Start now.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement