Original Post
I''m writing a software graphics engine (well designing it right now rather than actually coding it). I want to have shadows and will us the shadow mapping algorithm of creating z-buffers from each light source I have. They will be point sources, so I will be using cube maps. It''s not real-time so there''s no speed issues at hand.
The problem is this: It''s easy to create z-buffers from the light sources if the object is solid... but what if the object is slightly transparent due to an alphamap being applied to it. Does anyone know of a modified shadow mapping method that allows for transparent textures. Basically if I have a 50% alpha polygon then the resulting shadow ''darkness'' should only be 50%. Even more problems arise when you have two or more semi-transparent polygons in front of each other from the light. You can''t simply add the results together with a z-buffer.
Do I have to just have a threshold shadow value, say 50% alpha being the cut-off value for producing a shadow or not?
P.S. Yes I did try searching the forums, some results came close but nothing covered transparency in shadow mapping.
Thanks in advance!