Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Making Models

Started by McCade Apr 17, 2000 at 1:49 PM 9 replies 1.9k views
Original Post
McCade
McCade
I would like to try making up some models to use in my code, but I am a poor programmer paying back my student loans and can not afford the program 3D Studio are there any programs that are close to the quality but much less harsh on the pocket book? Thanks in advance.
sc0rpy
sc0rpy
Well, since I am clueless when it comes to art.. (translation: even stick men elude me) I''m not much of an expert to what is good and what isn''t good.. but I did notice a link to this modeller and opengl.org also had a link to how to read it''s model files aswell.

http://www.comp.lancs.ac.uk/computing/users/andy/ac3d.html

It''s called AC3D. hope you find it useful. I tried it but all I could make was spaghetti polygons..

This Space Left Blank
McCade
McCade
Thanks for your help. I will try it out.
McCade
McCade
Thanks for all the information.
sixb0nes
sixb0nes
use some 'web intuition' and search a little.

try Softseek's 3D section .. a pretty good place to start - or try other 'shareware' depots like downloads.com or tucows.com.

/sixb0nes

Edited by - sixb0nes on 4/20/00 8:31:33 AM
sixb0neshttp://www.xpression.ca
sc0rpy
sc0rpy
And on the topic of modelling.. I just want to say you 3d artist types.. I envy you buggers since I find modelling 10000x times harder than coding.. damn these triangles, I know what I want but I''ll be damned if I can create it.


I wonder if more beer would help.
This Space Left Blank
sixb0nes
sixb0nes
try some wussian wodka.. works well.

/sixb0nes
sixb0neshttp://www.xpression.ca
a2k
a2k
hey sc0rpy, it''s the opposite for me. i envy you coders. i''m trying my best, and i''ll get there, but the thing about 3d modelling that''s cool is, you get the results immediately. it''s pretty much WISYWIG. so, you get it''s immediate rewards, and you can just keep on movin''.
i love that stuff.

a2k
------------------General Equation, this is Private Function reporting for duty, sir!a2k
sixb0nes
sixb0nes
sc0rp,

you and i both know how difficult it is to find a -good- modeller. /sharpe/ was a good example. unfortunately the ones we''ve met seemed to have less pull to the computer as a whole, compared to us as coders. maybe we aren''t looking in the right place, eh?

as for your point a2k, coding mimics modelling in that fashion. seeing your work on-screen keeps you striving to improve upon your existing work.

/sixb0nes
sixb0neshttp://www.xpression.ca

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.