Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
๐Ÿ”’ Locked

John Carmack, Rocket Scientist?

Started by notme Oct 19, 2002 at 6:33 PM 8 replies 2k views
Original Post
notme
notme
It seems John Carmack is building a rocket to travel into space. http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/space/10/16/xprize.contest/index.html http://www.armadilloaerospace.com/n.x/Armadillo/Home
black_mage_s
black_mage_s
Here''s another URL for you:
http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=119852

-----------
I MADE ALL OF YOU WAIT 3 DAYS FOR A MEXICAN WRESTLER!
"Luck is for people without skill."- Robert (I Want My Island)"Real men eat food that felt pain before it died."- Me
munkie
munkie
This is pretty old news, and has been posted here before. Just thought I'd irrelevantly say that..

edit: beat me to it.


---------------------------------
my website: heavy assault
---------------------------------

[edited by - munkie on October 19, 2002 7:42:04 PM]
bishop_pass
bishop_pass
Like I said in about the nine other times this has been mentioned, this is a beautiful example of seat of the pants engineering. I love it.

And I also like how he is hands on. Unlike some I won't mention around here, he has an interest other than staring at computer code all day. Note that he has put together a 'shop' with materials (metal, among other things) and tools, such as a TIG welder, etc. They even have a little tractor.

You see, this is good stuff. Very much in the spirit of the 'ultimate shop' thread I created.

I am a little concerned about their slightly cavalier attitude with regard to electrical connections and mounting techniques. I was reading how they had a problem with a connection which was only a wire under a screw.

If I was working on this project, one of the first things I would establish are minimal standards for connections, switches, etc. For example, I would only use metal toggle swithces with a positive snap from on to off, with a guaranteed number of usable 'throws'. Having had experience with wiring the lights (and rewiring the lights) on my flatbed, I can attest to the necessity of strong vibration proof soldered connections in a vibrational environment. The heavy suspension on my truck created that vibrational environment.

I would also seriously look into using redundant power sources which are automatically switched on if the software control program ever stops sending a 'still breathing' signal, either because of hardware failure, power failure, or any reason whatsover.

Actually, I would engineer it with three motherboards, called 1, 2, and 3. Number 1 boots up and controls the system. Number 2 is already booted and running, and immediately takes over control if Number 1 fails to send a 'still breathing signal'. At the same time Number 2 takes control, Number 3 receives power and is booted, waiting in reserve if Number 2 should fail. These were just ideas I was thinking about as I was reading about their project. I am quite impressed by what they are doing, and I wish I was part of a project such as that.

[edited by - bishop_pass on October 19, 2002 11:06:45 PM]
_______________________________
"To understand the horse you'll find that you're going to be working on yourself. The horse will give you the answers and he will question you to see if you are sure or not."
- Ray Hunt, in
Mr Saturn
Mr Saturn
Lets hope his rocket is better than his games.
notme
notme
His games kick ass.
a2k
a2k
quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
Seeing so many threads dedicated to John Carmack I wonder when GameDev will interview him for the people here.


Seeing so many threads dedicated to John Carmack I wonder when GameDev will create a John Carmack forum.

------------------General Equation, this is Private Function reporting for duty, sir!a2k
AnonymousPosterChild
AnonymousPosterChild
If they created a john carmack forum, only John Carmack would post there.

AnonymousPosterChild!
Black_mage_s in disguise!
With love, AnonymousPosterChild

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.