Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Transparent textures?

Started by Demon Lord Apr 27, 2000 at 9:24 AM 2 replies 1.2k views
Original Post
Demon Lord
Demon Lord
I want to apply a texture with transparent sections (i.e.: alpha values) on a polygon, without seeing the polygon where the texture is transparent (like the trees on Mario64, or the monsters in Doom). However, when I apply the texture on the poly, I see the poly''s own color where the texture is transparent. I tried to set the poly''s alpha to totally transparent, but now I can''t see the poly (which is nice) but I can''t see the texture either (which is not). How can it be done ? Eric Laberge
----------------------------------------"Inash neteia haeg joa kavari quilm..." SD4
RedRicK
RedRicK
Try storing your textures in RGBA format and set the alpha to opaque in those pixels you want to see...

Or try some color keying

RedRicK
----------------------------- For I have come to serve you and to support you...-----------------------------
Bad Monkey
Bad Monkey
Hi Demon Lord,

Wild stab in the dark here, but try playing around with the blending function ( glBlendFunc(...) ). What you really want to do is over-write the polygon''s alpha value with that of the texture (yes?), so I assume changing the blending function to this effect will be what you need to do.

Hopefully I haven''t sent you off in the wrong direction

-------------
squirrels are a remarkable source of protein...
Demon Lord
Demon Lord
Solved.

I had to use GL_REPLACE instead of GL_DECAL in glTexEnvi().

Eric Laberge
----------------------------------------"Inash neteia haeg joa kavari quilm..." SD4

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.