Original Post
Hi,
I''m trying to get a list of pixel formats that my OpenGL app can render to. I''m basically going through describe pixel format handing it an ever increasing pixel format index and discarding modes I don''t want to consider (like bpp<16, no PDF_SUPPORT_OPENGL et cetera).
What I''m not finding 100% clear from the docs is whether PDF_GENERIC_FORMAT and PDF_GENERIC_ACCELERATED are mutually exclusive. I took these meanings from the presence of the flags:
PDF_GENERIC_FORMAT only = Only supported by the generic (software) implementation
PDF_GENERIC_ACCELERATED = Only supported by the hardware) implementation
PDF_GENERIC_FORMAT & PDF_GENERIC_ACCELERATED = Supported by both
Is this the case?
http://www.opengl.org/developers/faqs/technical/mswindows.htm says
"...If PFD_GENERIC_ACCELERATED is clear and PFD_GENERIC_FORMAT is set, then the pixel format is only supported by the generic implementation. Hardware acceleration is not possible for this format..."
It also says above that, a bit...
"...Any format with the PFD_GENERIC_FORMAT attribute bit set will not be hardware accelerated..."
The later statement seems to make PFD_GENERIC_ACCELERATED redundant as regards checking for hardware acceleration...
Thanks,
Ro_Akira