Future of COM Architecture :: COM

Started by
7 comments, last by kuphryn 21 years, 1 month ago
Hi. I am studying COM from Inside COM by Dale Rogerson. Thus far, this is the first and only COM book I read on COM. COM concept and implementation using C++ are simple enough. One reason is probably because I have read and is familiar with concepts in Modern C++ Design by Andre Alexandrescu. I plan to work on some simple COM designs in the coming months. I would like to know what is the future of COM? How does .NET affect COM present and future? Is it possible to use COM components written in C++ in C#? I am a hardcore C++ programmer, but I may develop COM components for other languages if possible in the future. Thanks, Kuphryn [edited by - kuphryn on March 23, 2003 11:12:34 PM]
Advertisement
Ehh...

OLE, COM, NET... *if god wanted programs to mess with each other, he wouldn''t have had MS do it*
COM is teh 133+!!
No, seriously. If you don''t mind denting your reputation as a 133+ H4X0R then VB is definitely the way to go.
quote:Original post by kuphryn
I would like to know what is the future of COM?

I hope there's no future for COM. I might be wrong, but isn't COM an ugly, bloated and flawed re-implementation of DLL mechanism?

EDIT: On the other hand, my remark is absolutely off-topic.

[edited by - Advanced Bug on March 24, 2003 7:17:52 AM]
COM is legacy in .Net

Spectre Software - RPGs, strategy, puzzle games, programming
“If you try and please everyone, you won’t please anyone.”
I would like to know what is the future of COM?

How does .NET affect COM present and future?

As has been mentioned, .NET is mostly intended as the successor to COM. If you read some recent literature out of Redmond, you will see the term "legacy COM" being used. I think that says it all.
quote:
Is it possible to use COM components written in C++ in C#?

Yes.
quote:
I am a hardcore C++ programmer

Really?

"If there is a God, he is a malign thug."
-- Mark Twain
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
"I am a hardcore C++ programmer"

Definitely! How would you describe C++ programmers that are and want to design and implement COM components?

Kuphryn
How would you describe C++ programmers that are and want to design and implement COM components?

Masochistic?

"If there is a God, he is a malign thug."
-- Mark Twain
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
Hah

If that were true, Microsoft sure houses many "masochistic" employees.

Kuphryn

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement