Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

How to avoid going to church and Christianity discussion

Started by Xtremehobo Apr 19, 2003 at 11:11 PM 1139 replies 102.8k views
Original Post
Xtremehobo
Xtremehobo
Well, tomorrow's easter and my parents r gonna make me go to church :o Its been so long since I've been there and I really don't want to go. My idea of a good time isn't sitting in uncomfortable chairs and shaking stranger/old people's hands while listening to a chior sing the same songs over and over.. How can I get out of having to go (e.g. pretending to be sick; whicch I won't do because it would be too obvious).. Any suggestions? Thanks edit Changed subject to reflect topics discussed [edited by - Machaira on April 30, 2003 3:24:50 PM]
pixelwrench.com | [email="matt[nospam]@pixelwrench[nospam]com"]email[/email] lethalhamster: gamedev keeps taking my money, but im too lazy to not let them
RedBitsOfYarn
RedBitsOfYarn
Kiss your lucky charms it aint a catholic church... THOSE are boring!
Shotokan
Shotokan
Tell your parents your not a hypocryt. Or however you spell that word.
Russell
Russell
I think the church should make tithing (paying your 10%) mandatory. That way you''d only have people that wanted to be there attending,and not people who really don''t care, but want to give off the impression that they are a "good" person, so they go sit in a building for an hour a week with a hangover from the night before, etc.

I think we can all be in agreance that these people should just go away
Hitchhiker90
Hitchhiker90
How about you just STFU and go to church and be greatful. Church wasn''t meant to be a good time, its a place of worship.
Hitchhiker90"There's one bitch in the world, one bitch with many faces" -- Jay"What are you people, on dope?" -- Mr. Hand
Densun
Densun
I''m not much of a church goer myself, but my family (well, my parents and I; my siblings are too lazy) go for Christmas Day. I don''t know what your church is like, but the sermon I go to lasts only an hour (not a long time because I''m used to three hour classes), and then there''s food and drinks served afterwards. We also sing some hymns which I find fun even though I suck at singing. I''d just suck it up if I were you. It''s not that bad.
Xtremehobo
Xtremehobo
ehh I''ll just go, they have free krispy kreme doughnuts =D
pixelwrench.com | [email="matt[nospam]@pixelwrench[nospam]com"]email[/email] lethalhamster: gamedev keeps taking my money, but im too lazy to not let them
Cypher Ae
Cypher Ae
Fight fire with fire perhaps. Say that you don''t believe in celebrating the day of Jesus'' crucifixion. That is what easter''s about isn''t it?

Anyway, Im not christian. neva had to go to church. I have no religion, i don''t need on. all i need is fidelus - faith

Artificial entertainment- Define reality...
Contact: kyser3152@yahoo.com.au
Xtremehobo
Xtremehobo
my $0.02
I''m not sure If I''m religious... I''m not sure I subscribe to what the bible teaches. Its not like I think some of the stuff in the bible is physically impossible (I''ve come to belive that a lot of it is quite possible via listening to ctc ), but its more of a logic thing. Lots of stuff in the bible seems ''storybook'' or ''fairytail''ish. Things seem to happen in ways that are quite ineficiant (like somewhere I think it says that the first humans were made from sand. If someone had the power to do all he/she/it can do, why not just ''magically'' make humans?) But then again, maybe our idea of ''fairytail'' came from the bible and thats how things really were back then. I''m with Art Bell; I''m not sure I belive in what the bible says, but I think its possible that part of it could be true and/or something intelligent may be controlling the universe


(Just don''t flame this topic, as its a simple question, not a debate)
pixelwrench.com | [email="matt[nospam]@pixelwrench[nospam]com"]email[/email] lethalhamster: gamedev keeps taking my money, but im too lazy to not let them
Shotokan
Shotokan
Dress up like Satan.
Tyro
Tyro
i dont find it anymore annoying than going to school everyday.
actually school is way more boring. ANd i get to see pretty asian girls(i go to korean church)

[edited by - tyro on April 19, 2003 12:25:37 AM]
Xtremehobo
Xtremehobo
hmm.. good point... I don't want to go to school now, either :'(
edit: yet, I still will. School doesn't give out free dougnuts either

[edited by - Xtremehobo on April 19, 2003 12:26:54 AM]
pixelwrench.com | [email="matt[nospam]@pixelwrench[nospam]com"]email[/email] lethalhamster: gamedev keeps taking my money, but im too lazy to not let them
Russell
Russell
quote:
Original post by Xtremehobo
Lots of stuff in the bible seems ''storybook'' or ''fairytail''ish. Things seem to happen in ways that are quite ineficiant (like somewhere I think it says that the first humans were made from sand...

I''ve got a fairy tail for you. Millions and billions of years ago, lots of stuff magically came together and then it magically exploded! Millions and billions of years later the stuff turned into rocks, and then more millions and billions of years later, humans magically came into being.

The Bible is as good of a story as any. Evolution says we are decendants of dirt too. You don''t think of it as a fairy tail though, because in first grade a teacher you don''t know told you that dinosaurs lived millions of years ago. If someone would have told you the earth was 6,000 years old and that dinosaurs were just the animals that lived a few thousand years ago (some of which still live today) in first grade instead, you''d laugh when someone started talking about billions of years ago and the big bang and how this massively complex world of beings came into creation all by chance, and think "how weird...that sounds like a fairy tail..."
andromeda
andromeda
Cypher: Actually, the day Jesus arose from the dead and ascended into Heaven, but ya know, who''s counting.

Xtremehobo: About the fairytale thing - remember, this stuff, if it did happen, happened many thousands of years ago, even for the people who originally wrote the books of the Bible. History that old is very difficult to store and record accurately, and one of the best ways that mankind has found to pass knowledge over long periods is myths and legends. These stories do get distorted, though. Look into some biblical history sometime, and the scientific theories that have been present for some of the events - it''s pretty interesting stuff. Just remember, if it sounds kind of ''fairytale''-ish to you, it might be because the Bible''s been subject to a 5000 year long game of ''telephone''.
Naaga
Naaga
Not to mention the fact that many religions, and much of the Bible, use symbolism religiously(pun intended). Trying to figure out whether something written in the Bible is supposed to be a real story or a symbolic representation of an idea can be kind of tricky.

With that said, I wish I had paid attention in church as I was growing up. Then I might not feel like I''m behind and need to catch up.
__________America seems to like crap because its what we make popular. - Goober King
Xtremehobo
Xtremehobo
all good points and I completely understand;
I still wan''t to stay home and watch tv tomorrow morning though

time for sleep now..
pixelwrench.com | [email="matt[nospam]@pixelwrench[nospam]com"]email[/email] lethalhamster: gamedev keeps taking my money, but im too lazy to not let them
Taulin
Taulin
Tell your mom after playing Doom you decided to become an athiest.
fraKtal
fraKtal
just say no.

failing that, say your busy.
YodaTheCoda
YodaTheCoda
quote:
Original post by Programmer One
Blow up the church.

blow up yuor parwents

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.