Americans have no rights! (When they're younger then 18)

Started by
16 comments, last by Drewish 20 years, 8 months ago
Recently, my parents have become involved in a legal dispute. I was a major source of evidence for my mother''s side as well. While going through all this I learned some shocking new. If you are under 18 (and I''m 13) you have NO legal rights whatsoever. None. Upon finding this out I was, to be blunt, really pissed. Sure, free speach I could probally say I have freedom of speach (although not where it counts, in school), but lets say that my parents were battling for my custody, and I DID NOT want to live with one of them. Do I have a choice in the mater? Nope. I think that children 14 and above (which I will be in about three months) shoud have at least a limited amount of legal rights, instead of having their fate argued over by their parents lawyers.
Advertisement
Yep. Every single 13 year old in the united states knows exactly what''s best for them, and that they TRULY LOVE MOMMY, and that mommy isn''t just using them to leech an extra couple bucks a month off daddy when the divorce is final.
Member of the Unban nes8bit or the White Rhino in my Basement Gets Sold to the Highest Bidder Association (UNWRBGSHBA - Not accepting new members.)Member of the I'm Glad Mithrandir Finally Found an Association that Accepts People with his Past History Association (IGMFFAAPPHA)
The USA and Somalia are the only countries in the UN who refuse to sign the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child.

Why? So that we can execute them for murder, of course.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My signature is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My signature, without me, is useless. Without my signature, I am useless.
Yeah.. kids generally don''t need rights.

James Simmons
MindEngine Development
http://medev.sourceforge.net
That''s what you guys say, but you take your rights for granted. And the legal issue is WAY more compicated then your typical divorce story (in fact, divorce has''nt been discused yet, right now we''re focusing on the restraining order). Bassically the court says that I HAVE to do certain things and I view that as unconstitiutional.
Actually, if you 15-17 or self supporting, you can be asked to be treated as an adult.

Children and Teenagers may have a sense of what is fair and unfair, but how the world works. Plus, they will never be able to afford a decient lawyer. Its come a long way in 50 or so years, but its still pretty messy. You don''t rights as an adult, but then you also don''t have the penalties either. You can murder someone, and be out at 21, (laws are slowly changing, but that is a different thread entirely).

Before, children had absolutly no rights what so ever. The humane socity sponsered a case against a set of parents, (they were the only ones that stuck up for the child at the time, because it was un-humane). That was the starting point of children''s rights, which now includes working rights, rights against abuse, etc, etc.

You can ask to be heard by the judge, if you don''t want to approach the judge directly, you can always write a letter. Most Judges do allow older(10+) children to make their wishes known, although they don''t have to. Just remember, both your parents prolly love you, and you don''t want to cut one totally out of your life.

~~~~~
"Video games could have prevented this tragety." - mortisthecat
Download and play Slime King I.
~~~~~Screaming Statue Software. | OpenGL FontLibWhy does Data talk to the computer? Surely he's Wi-Fi enabled... - phaseburn
Like I said this situation is very messy, both personally and emotionally. It may sound terrible, but the fact is is that I do want to cut someone out of my life. I also don''t plan on murdering anybody soon so I would be fine with those penalties. In fact I got pretty frustrated when a teen kills people and gets away without any chance of a death penalty.
Because the death penalty has alot to do with this.

It would seem that you don''t want to do something the court is making you do. Show the court some good old-fashioned contempt and don''t comply. Simple. I mean, are they going to stick your ass in jail? Not likely. Send you to a psycologist? Just give that guy akimbo middle fingers for an hour straight.

If it''s something silly like you have to visit with the parent you don''t apparently like, just disappear when you get over to their house. Right as you''re about to leave, go to the bathroom, turn on the faucet and slap your belly really really hard, then complain to the other parent that he/she was hitting you with a yardstick. Instant court order.

OR, you could realize that although mommy and daddy (might) seem like perfect people, they''re actually as fucked up as you are. Go along with their bullshit and later on make them feel guilty for fucking up your childhood. Lots of money to be made that way.
Member of the Unban nes8bit or the White Rhino in my Basement Gets Sold to the Highest Bidder Association (UNWRBGSHBA - Not accepting new members.)Member of the I'm Glad Mithrandir Finally Found an Association that Accepts People with his Past History Association (IGMFFAAPPHA)
Around 16, you start getting rights. You get all of them by 21.

Scott Simontis
e-mail:ageofscott@comcast.net
AIM:ssimontis

[edited by - sSimontis on September 13, 2003 8:36:00 PM]
Scott SimontisMy political blog
Well, those are some good suggestions. But my mother wants me to comply and this is her computer....

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement