Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Death

Started by The_Street_Preacher Jul 6, 2000 at 2:13 AM 5 replies 1k views
Original Post
The_Street_Preacher
The_Street_Preacher
In another thread they are discussing Death. I''m talking about MMORPGs here. If you were making an MMORPG, how would you handle death? Some people have suggested 1 death/1 character. I don''t know what the current system used by most MMORPGs is.
Spyder
Spyder
Most MMORPG (i havent made a count) allow the player a certain amount of time to reach his/her corpse before it rots. Some games penalize death with loss of exp or gold. In one game like Medeiva MUD you spawn as a ghost after death and must make your way through a desert (not always easy) to a shrine where you can be restored with your body.

Diablo2 has one version where you can create hardcore characters, with one death = gameover. I have played myriads of muds and mmorpgs, and I personally like it when you have a certain amount of time to reach your corpse before it rots (and your eq is free for anyone to loot) and when death is penalized by exp. In Diablo2 they penalize using gold, thats a stupid idea imho.

You should take into account when designing MMORPG that players tend to spend alot of time building their characters, they can''t save the game, so don''t just ban them off the server. =P

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.