Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

More than Eye Candy

Started by DarkMage139 Jul 6, 2000 at 8:27 AM 1 replies 750+ views
Original Post
DarkMage139
DarkMage139
While we''ve all been wrapped up discussing RPGs, there''s another matter I''d like to bring to the light. First Person Shooters. Some of us criticize them because a lot were just a bunch of mindless shooting and not enough gameplay or story. Well, how about doing something about it? What if we combined a FPS with an adventure game or something. For instance, what if there was a game where you could talk to people and interact like an RPG, but you could go and fight as if in a FPS. Another example is Thief. We could take a step further and actually roleplay (this may become another RPG discusson, but I can''t help it... it''s my personal nature). I''ll leave the rest up to you... - DarkMage139 "Real game developers don't change the rules. Real game developers don't break the rules. Real game developers make the rules!" "Originality (in games) is the spice of life!"
DarkMage139
Paul Cunningham
Paul Cunningham
I think FPS''s can and have been fun without need to hybrid it to other genres. Most gamers including the hardcore RPG''s would have a favourite FPS-non-hybrid.

There''s is an awful lot that can be done in FPS''s. So much potential to make killer games i don''t think its funny.

I think theme goes a long way with making a game more enjoyable.



I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!
khawk
I think Deus Ex and Half-Life are two examples of FPS''s that aren''t mindless. In fact, I think mindless FPS is becoming a minority now. Even a game like Unreal Tournament is very mind engaging when playing in teams for something like Capture the Flag. To me, Free For All Deathmatch with 20 players is the only mindless FPS nowadays.

Kevin
Admin for GameDev.net.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.