Advertisement

Email Resume?

Started by October 29, 2003 06:07 PM
8 comments, last by Drakonite 20 years, 11 months ago
Are there any specific formats companies tend to prefer when sending a resume via email? I''m asking specifically about game development companies, however I assume it''s about the same for applying for any job via email.. Are there any other things that should be included? I am assuming a link to a page of demos I have made, and a ''cover email'' are both appropriate, but is there anything else? Drakonite [Insert Witty Signature Here]
Shoot Pixels Not People
Nearly every company has MS Word.
Advertisement
Yes, and some don''t. Always use a plain text resume, or whatever format they specifically ask for.

Nice formatting is for the hard copy resume.
quote: Original post by Anonymous Poster
Yes, and some don''t. Always use a plain text resume, or whatever format they specifically ask for.

Nice formatting is for the hard copy resume.

They don''t specify a format at all... So I should just use plain text? As an attachment or in the email text itself?

Oh well... I''m sure they aren''t too picky about the format, but I just want to make a good impression. Thanks.

Drakonite

[Insert Witty Signature Here]
Shoot Pixels Not People
Why not just send an email to the HR person and ask which file format they prefer. You won''t lose points for asking .
"When you die, if you get a choice between going to regular heaven or pie heaven, choose pie heaven. It might be a trick, but if it's not, mmmmmmm, boy."
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way.
You don''t want to work at a place that doesn''t have Word.
Advertisement

I''d love to hear the reasoning behind that one.

Remember, Microsoft Office is not the only office suite on the market.

Also remember, sending an Office 2000 document isn''t going to help an Office 97 using HR person.
Send resumes in Word 97 format, RTF or plain text. Don''t include work samples as attachments (links will do fine), and keep the # pages to one or two.

I''d love to hear the reasoning behind that one.

Remember, Microsoft Office is not the only office suite on the market.

Also remember, sending an Office 2000 document isn''t going to help an Office 97 using HR person.

Not to mention that for the job I want it isn''t uncommon for the work to be done on unix systems, which would mean no MS Word

llyod: Thanks

Drakonite

[Insert Witty Signature Here]
Shoot Pixels Not People
I usually send the resume in PDF or HTML. You probably want your resume to look a bit better than you can get with just plain text, unless they explictly ask for that. I usually just send the cover letters in plain text as I keep that less formal than the resume.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement