Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Dawn of the Dead: Review

Started by Fade2Black Mar 19, 2004 at 10:35 PM 22 replies 2.2k views
Original Post
Fade2Black
Fade2Black
I just saw this movie and here is what I have to say: Short version: Best fucking zombie movie ever. Period. Long, Detailed version: This part will be broken down into 5 parts; Plot, Dialog, Action, Music, and Special Effects, each with a rating of between 1 to 5 stars (*). Plot - ***** This is the third movie in the "Day of the Dead" series and it continues to hold it''s ground in the apocolyptic, zombie massacre en masse genre, probably because it created it. It''s basically a Resident Evil scenario, and, in fact, is where Capcom got it''s inspiration for Biohazard (Resident Evil). At it''s core it''s basically a virus, or mutanegen that attacks living cells turning human''s infected with it into the living-dead, aka living-flesh devouring, unstoppable zombies. They multiply so rapidly that there is no hope to contain it; that and no one really knows what causes the monsters (they are never actually called zombies, wonder why?). In this series, the zombie infestation has spread from a small scale isolated ''social unrest'' skirmish to the entire nation. There is nowhere left that is safe except for the few refuges found by survivors who have barricaded themselves into waiting for a rescue that will never come. This movie follows a group who find their refuge in a mall somewhere in Minnesota. This doesn''t seem very exciting but you have to learn more about it through the... Action - ***** Most movies, of any kind, even an action movie start off very slow, get hyped in the middle and then end rather slow. Not DotD. This movie starts with a bang that echos throughout the entire 100 minutes. There''s maybe 5 minutes where nothing happens at the beginning. This is also where the scary ''reality'' of the movie comes into play; one moment everything is fine and normal, then out of nowhere all Hell quite literally breaks loose. Now, I am not really scared of anything but the scope this movie shows scared me shitess. Unlike other zombie movies that start and end in an isolated environment, this movie shows the scope of the infestation. As the lead character fights out of her house from the zombified neighbor girl that kills and turns her boyfriend into one of the ''horde'' she finds herself in the midsts of a chaotic suburban area warzone. At this point you see the scope is large, but not until you get a very detailed overhead view as she drives away frantically; Tanks coming to try and quarantine the small ''revolts'' cars wrecking in their frantic escapes, people running around like headless chickens, and fires breaking out as cars crash into back yard propane tanks. Once inside the mall, the action does die down for short periods at a time, but it doesn''t get to the point where it is boring, but there has to be some transition material. One of the lighter action scenes is where the people in the mall and fellow survior on a roof across the street, Andy, play games by picking out zombies in the crowed at the gates of both building and giving them names for Andy to pick off with his sniper rifle. Dialog - **** The dialog is good, I mean... There''s not really much to say since most of the talking is done while on the move in actions scenes. The dialog in the downtime is pretty good but I felt that there could have been more of a connection with the characters. As always though, the one liners got me cracking up every time. But why the fuck doesn''t anyone ever know what they are fighting? Don''t they watch movies? Music - *** Can''t give them a whole lot of credit on the music as none of it was originally score for this move save for a remix of a Static X song, "Sickness" which is played like an old lounge song, which kinda funny hearing, "Get up, come on get down with the sickness, you mother come on get down with the sickness, you fucker get up come on get down with the sickness..." song in a slow, sing-song manner. Effects - ***** Blood, squibs, dummies, and CG make this the most detailed zombie effects to date. Everything looked as you would expect from torn ligaments to deep cuts, flesh wounds, explosions, bullet wounds, and the zombies'' physical appearance after several traumatic experiences with a blade, gun, fire, or car related injury. While they didn''t show many (There were 2, maybe 3 at the most) close ups of the zombies themselves like they did in RE, and the ones they did show could have been alot better, but the effects everywhere else more than make up for this. Overall - ***** Overall this is an excellent movie. The best zombie related movie and perhaps the best catastrpohic-horror flick in a long time. Go see it, and don''t forget to bring a date. Oh and like all new movies, the credits don''t neccisarily mean the movie is over...
Please help spread SIDS - Sudden Idiot Death Syndrome.I am a prototype of God. A mutant of reproduction; Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
TangentZ
TangentZ
quote:
Original Post by Fade2Black
This is the third movie in the "Day of the Dead" series...



Actually, Dawn is the second in Romero''s "Dead Trilogy".

1. Night of the Living Dead (1968)
2. Dawn of the (Living) Dead (1978)
3. Day of the (Living) Dead (1985)

There were some others (e.g. Return of the Living Dead) but
they were not on the same level as the original 3.




Kami no Itte ga ore ni zettai naru!
神はサイコロを振らない!
Fade2Black
Fade2Black
Hm I thought it was the 3rd oh well I knew there were 3 books ^_^ now I have to wait for them to make Day of the Dead.
Please help spread SIDS - Sudden Idiot Death Syndrome.I am a prototype of God. A mutant of reproduction; Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Ditto Brother Rat
Ditto Brother Rat
I liked the movie. A lot more violent then I thought it''d be, which is always a nice surprise. Not as good as the original, of course, but what zombie movie is? You just can''t beat Dawn. Don''t know about these new running zombies, though. Hopefully they don''t become ingrained in film culture. Zombies shamble, dammit. They ain''t track stars.

And the ending reminded me of the original script of Day of the Dead that I found online. Maybe they''re thinking of remaking it....
Lohrno
Lohrno
quote:
Original post by AndreTheGiant
The Stand.


I dunno, the TV series was pretty so-so. The book was frickin awesome though.

-=Lohrno
Zorbfish
Zorbfish
quote:
Original post by Fade2Black
Music - ***

Can''t give them a whole lot of credit on the music as none of it was originally score for this move save for a remix of a Static X song, "Sickness" which is played like an old lounge song, which kinda funny hearing, "Get up, come on get down with the sickness, you mother come on get down with the sickness, you fucker get up come on get down with the sickness..." song in a slow, sing-song manner.



Actually I believe that''s an acoustic remix by Distrubed and called "The Sickness". And I agree with pretty much everything you said. I have to say it is a pretty good movie considering Romero had nothing to do with it.

polly
polly
I''m a bit confused. Is this a remake of the original movie by Romero? The one set in the mall? Are they planning to remake the other two as well? If so, why did they start by remaking the second in the series?

Jon
kryat
kryat
The original "Night of the Living Dead" was released in 1968. A remake of NotLD was released 1990.

The original "Dawn of the Dead" was released in 1978. The remake of DotD is currently in American theaters.

The original "Day of the Dead" was released in 1985. And has not been remade, nor have I heard any publicly announced plans to remake it.

Rumor has always been that Romero had originally planned four movies in his "Living Dead" set, all set in the same universe happening at roughly the same time in different parts of the United States. The last movie, never filmed, was to be titled "Dusk of the Dead" or "Twilight of the Dead". To my knowledge Romero has never publicly commented on his screenplay (if any) for that movie.
BradDaBug
BradDaBug
I saw it last night, and I thought overall it was pretty good. Probably the best recent zombie movie. The Johnny Cash song at the beginning was awesome.

** spoilers ** The only thing I didn''t like was the part with the baby. It wasn''t nearly as creepy or anything as it could have been. What would have been cool is if the mom was bit, but didn''t die. Instead she miscarrages, and the baby starts eating her from the inside. She starts screaming and crying for the guy to do something, so he freaks out and shoot her multiple times in the gut. It kills the baby, but now she''s lying there full of holes and he has to watch her die. Then she turns into a zombie and the movie continues as normal, except that the black guy can''t die like that because it wouldn''t work, but I''m sure they coulda thought of something. The way it is in the movie, you just kinda go WTF? he''s nuts? and don''t feel frightened or grossed out or anything.

Oh, and there''s a part where they run into the elevators and the doors shut as the zombies are trying to get it. Strange. Earlier in the movie the elevator would open when they put their hands between the doors, and I''ve never been in an elevator that didn''t open right back up when it detected an obstacle.

And why did that small propane tank create an explosion that big, and later that massive tank just kinda farted? ** end spoilers **
I like the DARK layout!
Densun
Densun
This looked like it should be a pretty bad and cliched movie, but it sounds like it''s better. Perhaps I''ll go see it.
zer0wolf
zer0wolf
I don''t know man, I''m a HUGE fan of the original Dawn of the Dead and a friend of mine saw the remake in the theater a few days ago and said it wasn''t nearly as gory as he expected. He told me that I probably wouldn''t dig it since I enjoy the original so much.

---------------------------------------------------
laziness is the foundation of efficiency
anomicworld.net | llamas! | megatokyo | gamedev.net | google
Tiffany_Smith fanboy
rapidarp
rapidarp
quote:

But why the fuck doesn't anyone ever know what they are fighting? Don't they watch movies?




That *DOES* seem odd. At least in House of the Dead, when the guy is looking at is video camera, he says, "Those are re-animated corpses just like out of a fucking Romero movie." That caught me off guard because mostly they just say something like, "What the fuck are those?" I laughed when he said it, but it felt good to know that SOMEONE in the movie (genre) knew what the hell was going on. Lol.



Hilary Duff, will you marry me?

[edited by - rapidarp on March 22, 2004 4:06:20 AM]
SpaceRook
SpaceRook
I'm a huge fan of the original. I thought the remake was well done, but not without it's problems. I've written a more thorough review at my site:

Dawn of the Dead 2004

If you like "Dawn of the Dead", you DEFINITELY should check out "Day of the Dead" and "Return of the Living Dead". Both movies have much more terrifying zombies (and gore) than the Dawn remake. Also, the zombies in "Return..." are fast and unkillable (unless you incinerate them, and even then you still have problems...).

[edited by - SpaceRook on March 22, 2004 6:42:05 PM]
Avatar God
Avatar God
quote:
Original post by hellophone85
What plot?
Seriously. I''m pretty used to this plot by now. The rest of the movie was good, though (except for the ending. both of them).


_GEo.
avatarsgod site
gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.
Drevay
Drevay
Man, that movie was FUCKING AWSOME. I saw it last night and I was NOT disappointed. Thought it was overall 10/10 - if I could rate any higher I would. Seriously.

I loved the beginning, I love the plot, I loved the gore, I loved the end because it leaves it open for a sequel.

Oh and, Disturbed remakes The Sickness at the credits - I recommend to watch the credits to the very end, you find out some cool stuff.


_________________Politics is the ability to foretell what is going to happen tomorrow, next week, next month and next year. And to have the ability afterwards to explain why it didn't happen. -- Winston ChurchillGDNet-0.2 - rate users the easy way with this nifty Firefox extension. Updated with new features.
Fade2Black
Fade2Black
quote:
Original post by Drevay
Man, that movie was FUCKING AWSOME. I saw it last night and I was NOT disappointed. Thought it was overall 10/10 - if I could rate any higher I would. Seriously.

I loved the beginning, I love the plot, I loved the gore, I loved the end because it leaves it open for a sequel.

Oh and, Disturbed remakes The Sickness at the credits - I recommend to watch the credits to the very end, you find out some cool stuff.





It leaves it open for a sequel because THERE IS A SEQUEL. Lol. Did you watch it all, through the credits and not just walk out the minute they started rolling?
Please help spread SIDS - Sudden Idiot Death Syndrome.I am a prototype of God. A mutant of reproduction; Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Drevay
Drevay
Yes, I watched the entire movie from the very beginning to the very end when the movie actually ended (past the credits).

I am aware there is a sequel, but they had an option in the remake to leave room open for one or not. That''s why I was happy when they did.


_________________Politics is the ability to foretell what is going to happen tomorrow, next week, next month and next year. And to have the ability afterwards to explain why it didn't happen. -- Winston ChurchillGDNet-0.2 - rate users the easy way with this nifty Firefox extension. Updated with new features.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.