Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Settlement

Started by mvpsoft Sep 7, 2000 at 11:23 AM 12 replies 1.9k views
Original Post
mvpsoft
mvpsoft
The Hasbro lawsuit has been settled. All defendants agreed to settle except for Xtreme Games, which will continue to litigate. I am extremely pleased with the terms of the settlement. MVP came out of this in a stronger position financially as well as other ways than we were in before the lawsuit is filed. Financial terms of the settlement agreement are confidential, so there is nothing more I can say about that. The settlement requires us to pull Debris from the market. However, we did not agree that our games infringe Hasbro''s copyrights, and we did not agree to restrictions of any kind to future games.
spikey
spikey
Did eGames also settled ???
How about 3d astroblaster, 3d tetrimania, 3d maze man, and the other games? Are they been destroed.
WhoopA
WhoopA
I had two words to say when I saw this: Oh Shit.

Personally, I feel all the settlement did was start a snowball effect - who knows what will happen because of this? I must congradulate(sp?) Andre for sticking it out and not settling with Big Evil Power Hungry Company. There you have it: my two cents.
WhoopA, the Official Kicker of Butts--- Where have I been all these years?
mvpsoft
mvpsoft
I believe that the terms of the settlement represent a big victory for Egames, MVP and Webfoot. Xtreme was in a somewhat different position and chose not to settle.

In MVP''s case, we are pulling a 3-1/2 year old game off the shelves, a game that Egames had previously discontinued anyway because it had run its course. Big deal. Hasbro spent over $1 mil. in legal fees for that?

The key thing here is that there are no restrictions on future games. None at all. We are free to do any games of any kind that we chose to do.

If you think about that for even one minute, you will immediately understand that Hasbro didn''t spend all that money to eliminate old games. They wanted a lot more, and they didn''t get it.

BTW, the rumors are that Hasbro is looking to get out of the computer games business altogether. Could that be why they settled on such unfavorable (for them) terms?
cliffski
cliffski
THE AFTERMATH:
How ever good MVPSoft considers the deal there are a few points i have to mention here:.
1) I know from bitter experience that egames move with glacial speed. I''m sure they willl eventually remove those titles from their site. (Good news for me - I have one of the few title selling by thm that isnt affected - more space for my title i guess, but a bitter victory)

2) Debris may be x years old, but its a great little game. I still fire it up occasionally for a quick blast. I can play 2 rounds of debris in the time it takes Unreal Tournament to load. The principle is important here. It dosent matter how old my games get, I would be very bitter if some lawyer swine stopped me seling them.

3)If the impact on MVP is so low, and I have no reason to believe otherwise (I''m also very pleased this is the case), then you have to ask what HasBorg achieved: it cost them a fortune, and I doubt Intergalactic Extermintaor really threatened Hasborgs sales.
One can''t help thinking however, that this distracted both egames,xtreme and MVPSoft from doing what they should be doing - making games. Every day in court is a day away from the compiler.
Even if the judge had finally thrown the case out, there is still a lot of wasted time for the developers.

These are sad times dudes.

http://www.positech.co.uk
mvpsoft
mvpsoft
I can''t comment on the financial terms of the settlement, but you don''t know what you are talking about with this case. For example, they didn''t use in-house attorneys. They used Kim Landsman, who is with a very expensive outside firm. I don''t know how much it cost them, but I was talking to another publisher yesterday who told me that he heard they spent over $1 mil. prosecuting this case so far, and they''re still litigating against Xtreme, so their expenses continue to mount.
MadKeithV
MadKeithV
I think you guys have done great in this suit... The settlement shows that really, as small fish, you kicked Hasbro''s arse all the way to mars and back, and simply had to pull a couple of games that were blatantly ripping off older ones. Hasbro''s losing face, without a victory of any sort.

Great fight, and lets continue to make great games.


Give me one more medicated peaceful moment.
~ (V)^|) |<é!t|-| ~
ERROR: Your beta-version of Life1.0 has expired. Please upgrade to the full version. All important social functions will be disabled from now on.
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.