Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Public Domain Games

Started by FCouples Jun 30, 2004 at 1:11 AM 10 replies 4.5k views
Original Post
FCouples
FCouples
I am building a game site where people around the world can chat and play games from a network of lobbies. I have created my own games myself (ie chess, monopoly, texas holdem, checkers, etc.), but am looking to add a few more. I have had requests for some games from a few people, such as AOE and AC. I know that these are copyrighted and probably wouldn't be legal to launch from my gaming site without the licenses. I was wondering if there are any games out there that can be launched with parameters to start a game, such as player nicks and ip addresses. Preferably a game that doesn't require licensing and I won't get sued for having the game on my site. One game I know of like this is "Microsoft Ants", although I have a friend working on a lobby for that game. Look forward to your responses! Thanks! -Jeff
Raduprv
Raduprv
If you want, you can use our game, Eternal Lands. But only to connect to our server. The client is free and Open Source (but read the license).

BTW, monopoly requires a license, I think.
Raduprv
Raduprv
Well, currently it doesn't launch with command line parameters for username and password, but this can be very easely added (I can even add it myself).
However, the user will kind of have to install it on his/her computer (it has a lot of data files) first. Is that acceptable?
FCouples
FCouples
Yes that's fine :)

One of our games does that already, a link to download it from your site will be placed on the game downloads page. Also, users who come to the lobby will already be logged in to the network with their username and password. Would it be possible for your game to register them under the current username/password defined in the parameter launch if that account doesn't already exist? Otherwise players have to register twice, which some may not enjoy doing (also opens up the possibility of posing as other players on the network).

Thanks!

-Jeff
Raduprv
Raduprv
Well, the thing is, when you create your character, you have to define your race, colors, gender...
Besides, what if one of your user names is already taken by someone else?
FCouples
FCouples
True, that could pose a problem... I guess when you join the game from the lobby i could have a dialog pop up with an option to "Create a Character" or "Join the Game". Create a Character would launch the game with a -c paramater and Join the Game would pop up a second dialog asking for User Name/Password of that character, then launching with those parameters. That way there wouldn't be any conflicts if someone already had those character names, etc.
FCouples
FCouples
www.bomber-net.org

or for the games portal...

www.games.bomber-net.org
FCouples
FCouples
We had some downtime the past few days due to switching of servers, the site should work now if it didn't work before. So, what do you think? By the way we have not publically released yet so there are not many active users. We plan to make a public release in a week or two.
FCouples
FCouples
sounds good... until then we can just have the game page link to your page, and say we are implementing a lobby for it soon

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.