Games Applied to Life

Started by
7 comments, last by alnite 19 years, 9 months ago
Have you ever had one of those times where you learned something in a video game, and it applied to real life? I just had one the other day. Near my beach on a lake house I am at this summer is a steep hill, with a sharp turn into where you park the golf carts. Somehow, I let my friend talk me into driving down it really fast then slamming the brakes to slide into the corner (in my golf car) Being a 17 year old boy, how could I refuse? As I was going around the corner the backside started flipping around, like I was going to 360. I immediately cut the wheel into the slide and rightened the car out, and continued the slide, going all the way around the corner. My friend was fairly impressed...and so was I. Of course every driver knows that when you begin to fishtail, you turn into it, but who has actually ever practiced it? Who made it instinct. And then I realized that it was from playing the Rally Racing mode in Gran Tourismo 3. I had made turning into a slide instinct. While you might say that turning into a slide with a ps2 controller is completely different than the wheel of a car, I would say otherwise. It trained my mind to look for hte appropriate solution to turn the car...I knew what I had to do, it was just a quick choice of how to do it. Has anyone else had an experience like this, where they were able to do something because they had learned it in a video game? Even being able to come up with witty comebacks Monkey Island style counts ;)
Advertisement
I've used it in real life too, but then from my army ops sniper training, when shooting little kids ;)

I can beat people in real life with the game "4 in a row" thanks to playing it online quite ofen :D

Other than that, I learned army and special ops related things from realistic shooting games, but never needed it ;)
Civilization and Incredible Machine come to mind.
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
Hmmmm... Playing Neverwinter Nights teached me some D&D rules which helped playing D&D table rpgs.. Does that count?
iv learnt orbital mathmatics from 'orbiter' and have made orbital mathmatics my life calling,...
If you were MEANT to understand it, we wouldn't have called it 'code'
I've learned how to rule a nation from nationstates.net. I'm sure that'll be handy experience when I take over the world in a couple days.
I like the DARK layout!
Quote:Original post by BradDaBug
I've learned how to rule a nation from nationstates.net. I'm sure that'll be handy experience when I take over the world in a couple days.

Not if I stop you with my skills I learned from playing batman on gameboy!
______________________________________________________________________________________With the flesh of a cow.
Quote:Original post by wannabe 1337
Quote:Original post by BradDaBug

Not if I stop you with my skills I learned from playing that batman game on the first gameboy!

Count me in. I have played Batman, Spiderman, and X-Men. I am sure my experience will aid us to stop BradDaBug from becoming the world emperor.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement