Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Game Development Team

Started by EtherealChaos Jul 19, 2004 at 7:11 PM 18 replies 3k views
Original Post
EtherealChaos
EtherealChaos
I've had the dream of creating a development company since I was around 10-11 years old (I'm now 17) and up untill recently I've deceided to try a move ahead with the idea... I'm here to propose an idea and get some help with improving the idea as well as possibly getting some designers (I'm not worried about Programmers/Modellers at the moment because those will all be paying jobs in the future) to help further develope my visions. My current goal is to save up money from my job and put atleast 100-150+ in the bank (I get paid around 250-300 bi-weekly) untill I'm probally around 20, 21... I've figured out that with saving that money (as well as some outside cash I receive on the side) I will be able to buy all the equipment (Computers, Server, Software), handle most of the legal aspects as well as pay my team (As of now I'm probally just going to say 5.50-6.00 an hour using Paychex.com)... Those are of course just "estimates" and I may probally have to take out a loan or find some outside financal aid. I'd like to assemble a team of around 10-12 Designers/Programmers/Modellers all with a good degree of experience... Relocation to or around the area of Pittsburgh, PA will most likely be required. I plan on running the studio from my basement (Which is very spacy and livable) so that means I may be able to offer a room to some of my more trusted team members. I plan on buying/providing the following equipment/software: 1) Custom built computers (80/120gig HD, 512MB/1GIG RAM, CD Burner, Nvidia Geforce 5700 256mb Video, 17/20' Monitors) 2) Vision 2.4GHz Rackmount Server (512 Ram, 200gig HD, Windows 2000) 3) 2 Laptops (For demo/presentations) 4) Large library of development documentation/books 5) 3D Studio Max, Visual C++, Adobe Photoshop and other software 6) Large supply of Hot Pockets (J/K) That is just a basic outline of some of the stuff my team will have available to them. Now, I know most of you guys will play this off as something that will just disappear but I am very, very passionate about gaming and the development of games... I used to program but I've moved on from that and pretty much now just design the game aspects (story, characters, worlds, etc.) and so on. I have a fairly detailed world for two games in my mind and they will soon end up in a design document once I get some other writer/designers to help me over the net untill I can get things picked up. I'm currently a highschool senior and I have obtained my A+ certification and I am currently working on my Network+... After highschool I will be attending collage to become a network administrator. In the company, not only will I be the owner/founder and lead designer on most projects but I will also manage our files servers and work on getting my team the latest technology for their systems. I think I've clearly outlined my plan of action and would like to ask you guys for any ideas on improving it. The last thing I'd really like to talk about is my two game ideas (I wont go into to much detail though because they are fairly deep). The first game is a Action/Adventure game in vain of games like Medievil, Maximo, D&D based games (Neverwinter Nights, Baulders Gate, Icewind Dale) and warcraft 3 but it will have a more gothic/darker design to it... It will be a hack & slash with deep character development and an intriguing storyline. The 2nd game is a alternate reality based game... Lets just pretend that World War 2 never ended but we still made advancements in weaponary and tactics. I havent fully realized this game yet but I really want to give it a unique art style and so on. So there you have it... Give me your ideas and help me "mature" my dream! Also, if you are a designer and any of these aspects intrest you (especially my good old friend, Kinmii) then contact me at archenemy@verizon.net. Thanks, Mitch Rockidge
Johns1124
Johns1124
LOL... Too Funny!! Nice Post!! I needed a good laugh!
robirt
robirt
"5.50-6.00 an hour"
LMAO
Rodger
EtherealChaos
EtherealChaos
Its all just estimates robirt... I'm not looking for people that are industry professionals because I know I dont have the money to pay them. I'm just looking for people that like making games and such (Like some of the independents on this board) that would possibly like to get together in the future. For all I know, they can be getting paid upwards of 10.00 in the future (Especially if I get a networking job at my Vo-Tech school. I'm very good friends with the admin. up there and he needs some help, pays good to (17-22 an hour)). Its all based in the future, so who knows what type of salery will be handed out. For all I or anyone else knows we could be located in a corperate building and be under a big name publisher - you never know! Also, 5.50 an hour is pretty good for some guys that just want to make a little money on the side with their hobby and its not like they will not beable to get a better job around here in Pittsburgh - there are alot of computer related buisness's looking for people around here. As I said though, this is all future plans - no need to laugh.

Mitch
Woodsman
Woodsman
I agree that at least your post is earnest, and much more business oriented than is typical here.

I'd highly recommend gathering a small team of budding developers soon, so that you can get comfortable in the role that you'd prefer... I'm assuming management? Work on something very simple at first. (Programming will probably be required since you're not funding outright at this stage.) You will need the experience that this will give to a) decide that this is in fact what you want b) network and c) get a feel for what is required of even the simplest of games.

Also, about your ideas. You certainly know that ideas come 100 to the cent. Work out a detailed design document for one or both of them. That is really key to show that you're at least somewhat serious about your projects. Maybe at some point you could even get some indie developers to help you make a very simple prototype or subset of the game. Anyone can roll some thoughts around in their head.

Lastly, do not expect to be able to fully fund a real modern game the same way the big companies do. You couldn't possibly do it. You'll have to make some very close friends to have them really work for you at that rate. An indie project with some slight benefits in the long run seems more likely.

Yes, most people are going to scoff at you outright. It happens here. If this is a very serious goal of yours then stick with it and get all the experience you can. Good luck.
If a plant cannot live according to its nature, it dies; so a man.
Jojo_the_fluffy_bear
Jojo_the_fluffy_bear
It's always good to see nice constructive posts... *ahem*

I'll do a little math for you. It's not concrete, but it should give you an idea.

Average time required to bring a game to market: 2-3 years
Average cost of production: 2-4 million
Average size of teams: 20-30

10 designers * $50,000 a year * 2 years = $1,000,000

And really that's just the tip of the iceberg.

I don't have the figures offhand, but most professionals in the industry make between something like 40-70k a year. Also, no one goes to a University for four years to get paid as much as they would flipping burgers.

My advice is to shoot much lower. Start out with smaller games and smaller teams. With a budget of 150k you'll need something that can go from idea to finished product in relatively little time. I'm not saying you won't be able to work your way up to something other than simple indie games or budget titles, but it will require a lot of hard work and luck.

Best of luck!

-Jojo
EtherealChaos
EtherealChaos
I did have plans awhile back for a shareware/$10 for fullversion game... It was a top-down space combat game with elements of strategy - If I could get a hold of my old designer, I'm sure he probally would still have the design document, sketches and preliminary models. It had a pretty nice "following of people" for what it was and I'm sure it would have made a little buzz in the independent scene. Maybe I could resurrect that title to not only gain some experience with making a full game but to also provide the studio with some, albiet small funding. I plan on self-funding the studio out of my pocket for a amount of time because I dont really have much in life that I need (besides food, entertainment and bills plus my house is under my name and payed off). So, if I get the job I'm striving for (Network Adminstrator at a local university) then I will have a large sum of money to put into the studio. I'd also like to hire the guys that do this as a hobby (but they of course have to me competent with what they do and have good experience in the field)... Atlough professionals would be the better option at developing an A title - I'm not worried about creating that type of game right of the bat. I would like to grow with my team, you know? So we can all be on the same page and give our games that unique feeling and style (Think: Free Radical).

I thank both Woodsman and Jojo for their constructive comments... I look forward to hearing more from other members here, it is much appreciated!

Thanks again,
Mitch
Woodsman
Woodsman
Quote:
Original post by EtherealChaos
I did have plans awhile back for a shareware/$10 for fullversion game...
Awesome, I look forward to hearing about it or your first project. That's a great step in the right direction.
If a plant cannot live according to its nature, it dies; so a man.
EtherealChaos
EtherealChaos
Well, Woodsman... I'm currently working on the studios website (Most likely located at etherealchaos.cjb.net untill I get a domain) so you can check that site out in the coming week for all the information on our projects and my ideas. I'm going to keep it updated as much as I possibly can also.

Thanks again,
Mitch
WonkWonk Studios
WonkWonk Studios
Hello there, I would like to apply for a position on your team! I would like to apply for the position of teh a programmer.

I am currently learning the C/C++ and I know some Java and some C#, I am willing to learn more and more every day! Whatever it takes to make the game!! I have a passion for teh making of teh game. Games are the greatest God ever did put on this earth0RZ!! bwah!! hehe

Anyway, I would also like to be a mjor designer is that's cool. and i was wondering if I could be payed more? maybe like 7 or 8 dollars an our? ...my parents are starting to charge rent for the basement... :/

Anyway, i would like to work woth 3d studio max too!! i dont know a hole lot bout teh a 3d, but i could fit the blocks into the right holes in that back when i was 3..LOL!! jk,jk

I like the 3d movies in FF seriezx; do you think we could do some like those, only with like a buncha humans fighting the black evles and fire and arrows and swords and lots of cool reflections in water and fire affects!? SO COOL!! I CANT WAIT TO JOIN!!!

ty.

-CHarlie briggsleed programer of Etheral Darkness's team (hopefully to be called WOnkWonk Studios!!! ;)
Chris222x
Chris222x
Asking somebody to relocate to the Pittsburgh area for 5.50-6 an hr or even 10/hr which you stated there "might be the possiblity for" is nothing more than absurd.
WonkWonk Studios
WonkWonk Studios
Quote:
Original post by Chris222x
absurd.


mmm...not my biziness or anyting as reply is for etheral but what dose 'absurd' mean?>
-CHarlie briggsleed programer of Etheral Darkness's team (hopefully to be called WOnkWonk Studios!!! ;)
Woodsman
Woodsman
Quote:
Original post by WonkWonk Studios
Quote:
Original post by Chris222x
absurd.


mmm...not my buzuness or anyting as reply is for etheral but what dose 'absurd' mean?>

I'm not too sure.
If a plant cannot live according to its nature, it dies; so a man.
EtherealChaos
EtherealChaos
I didnt say that relocation is really a MUST, but more so it would likely be required... An as far as payment, as I stated in previous post - It all depends on the outcome in the next few years. Also as I stated there are alot of jobs people can get around here and I mean alot! I've really geared this studio towards the amauter designer that has a fairly good grasp of what they are doing (like myself) and with the people I've talked to so far (ages 17-23) would be willing to relocate if the idea shows progression, which I plan on it doing so. Most amauters (defiently not all tho.) live with their parents and would love to get out into some new city and do something they love and as I said, if it is required I will provide a room to a team member (I have about 4 empty bedrooms) untill they can get on their feet and get an apartment or such. My real aim is probally 15.00 to 18.00 (maybe more) for parttime work with benefits... I've also looked into both paychex.com (for payroll) and a few insurence companies to check for group rates/benefits and such. This is trully something I'm striving for and will do almost anything in my power to achieve, not only for me but for all the other guys that want to try and make their way into the industry.

Also, sorry about replying to all the posts... Its just my way of developing "communication skills" between myself the guys that post here. To say the least, I will be an active member here (not only with my posts, but others as well).

Mitch
23yrold3yrold
23yrold3yrold
WonkWonk Studios was a duplicate account (I can even see the deleted post accidentally made under the original account [smile]).
Nevermind who it was; just ignore those troll posts.
Jesus saves ... the rest of you take 2d4 fire damage.
valkyr
valkyr
I am WonkWonk. And I'm terribly ashamed and sorry, Ethereal. I thought everyone else was joking and you were joking... and, well... I'm sorry. Keep at it, maybe you'll get to make your dream game one day. I hope everyone does.

What I did was really childish and immature.
Please forgive me for trolling, but I was bored... and, er, I couldn't resist--no excuse though. Sorry, again and good luck.
Chris Hare
Chris Hare
Quote:
Original post by WonkWonk Studios
Anyway, I would also like to be a mjor designer is that's cool. and i was wondering if I could be payed more? maybe like 7 or 8 dollars an our? ...my parents are starting to charge rent for the basement... :/
The Lion King
The Lion King
per hour pay is what I wouldn't suggest if you are not moving your employees at your location. For /hour pay ... they should be in front of you. If your employees are in other countries or cities i.e. not in front of you ... then you should rather set /milestone payment ... thats how I get paid for my project ... achieve your milestones and get paid for it.

Any way ... I would like to apply for the post of programmer if you are looking for a few and the posts aren't already filled. I am experienced with C++, DirectX and OpenGL. Can tackle everything from Graphics, Input, Sound & Network Programming. Just working on first commercial project right now (which is an online game using DX) ... it will be finished by the end of August/September 2004.

Cheers!
Malone1234
Malone1234
EtherealChaos

Lucky for you I already live in the Pittsburgh, PA area and I would like to offer my services. Don't have much game programming experience and I'm a little busy finishing up my computer science degree, but I'm a decent coder (C/C++, Java, Perl) and I'll even work for free (an occasional hot pocket would be nice ;)) in my spare time. I'll drop you an email soon.

Malone
petergriffin
petergriffin
maybe youll get some more replys if you drop the j/k off the hot pockets

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.