Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Learning suggestions please!

Started by edacsac Aug 1, 2004 at 1:58 PM 2 replies 700+ views
Original Post
edacsac
edacsac
Hello all, Lately I have developed an interest in learning more about game programming. Right now my experience is in building practical solutions in php, along with a few programming classes some years ago. My ending up working with php is completly by chance, and has been (although successful) a seat of the pants learning experience, as I have no real education in programming or math. Now I want to learn more about math as it applies to programming. I am in my 30's now, and I'm well settled in a work schedule where taking classes sits on the same level in my schedule as taking vacations. I average 1 or 2 classes a year, and so far I tend to learn more on my own. Is there any hope for learning game programming level math on my own time in a capacity that would possibly benefit my career at my age? And if so, what books would anyone recommend? I've been looking at some of the begining/fundamental programming math titles at Amazon, but revues of some of the books show them as inaccurate, which translates into difficulty for someone like myself using them as a learning tool. Even though I've never dreamed of programming in any capacity for a living, I'm getting very bored with the projects I'm currently involved with and want to broaden my skills and take on something more difficult, but math training has been almost non-existant in my education. Any comments would be greatly appreciated!
edacsac
edacsac
I know that I maybe should have posted this in the beginners forums, but I wanted to target the math/physics gurus with this question.
edacsac
edacsac
Is this question below you guys to answer?
veNa
veNa
Hello there.
Well, although I'm a bit younger than you (16), I did the same thing you want to do now.
I live in Israel and, unfortunatlly, I don't have Game-Developing school here, so - I had to teach my self.
How did I taought my-self ? First of all, we all know that Game-Developing is 90% math, so if you want to be a game-developer, you msut have a solid base in math - so the first thing I did was to go to the book-store and buy like 20 math books (not the whole 20 at the same time, i bought one - finished it, then bought another, and so on and so forth like so... it took me about 4 months to finish learning them all - btw, none of the books were related to game-developing at all, just to have a solid base in math).
After I finished with the math issue, I bought a C++ Book (as well, it had nothing related to game programming at all, just to learn the language).
And after I finished learning the language, I surfed to: http://msdn.microsoft.com, and started learning from there how to use the Direct-X SDK.
After finishing that I started of by making my first game project - a small pong game (and belive me, the way you feel after finishing you're first game project is something you cann't compare to any other feeling), after that I went to somethig a bit more complicated, a tetris game... and so on and so forth like so - after I finished a project I began another one a bit more complicated than the one I've just finished.
That's how I started learning game developing, and if you ask me it's the best way... people have written books for people like us - self-teachers - to learn from ! :).
I bet you're asking your-self right now "But how did he learnd how to implement math into game-developing ?" or stuff like that, well - again, I taought my-self... I set down and i started thinking how can I bring it out from the paper into my program, and after a few tries - I made it.
And belive me, if you do find out how to do it all by your-self, you'll feel a lot better than the way you'd feel if someone would have told you how to do it, that way you also can be sure that you know how things really work.
But let me tell you something - the roud you're taking is the hardest and the most complicated - so know that if you're choosing to teach your-self, there will be a lot of things you wont understand - and sometime there will be no one there to answer (of course you could use this forum, but I wanted to find out the answers all by my-self) your questions, so you'll have to deal with these problems head to head, all by your-self - so dont break up if you wont understand something right away, even if it'll take you a month to get it straight - eventually it'll happen and you'll fully understand it :).
Well, that's my story... I hope it helped you and that you'd be wise and have the power of will to do so, belive me you'll be proud at your-self at the end of it.
So if you do start to teach your-self, and you'll have some problems or questions (and if you'll be too lazy to answer them by your-self), here are some of the ways you could contact me:
via MSN Messanger: ariyes@bezeqint.net
via ICQ: 242219573
via E-mail: ari2004@013.net.il

[Edited by - veNa on August 2, 2004 11:45:23 AM]
veNa - Born to make games.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.