Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Viewpoint spyware...

Started by cutthepeace Aug 1, 2004 at 8:53 PM 10 replies 4.1k views
Original Post
cutthepeace
cutthepeace
For anyone who has dail-up and had this spyware on their comp, has there been a major connection speed difference? Like say you usually connect thru 49.2kbs-52.0kbs, but instead you connect at 28.8kbs/sec and less. And I dont want any: "Dail-up sucks, get cable/dsl/adsl...etc," too freaking expensive... --Dmitriy
Extrarius
Extrarius
spyware sucks, reformat
(sorry, but really you just asked for it)

I've never heard of this program etc, but I'm guessing it is entirely possibly that it changed some registry settings for the worse. You could probably get a connection tweaking program (make sure its not spyware etc itself, I don't know of any good ones) to fix it.
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
falkone
falkone
And not to mention that it's still not available in many places.. I live in the suburbs a few miles outside of a major city yet broadband only became available earlier this year.

As far as I know, Viewpoint does not cause a noticeable decrease in connection speed unless it is being used. That's not to say that other pieces of spyware aren't sucking up bandwidth. If you are using AIM, that will also suck up bandwidth as it downloads those damned movies.

EDIT:

Oh, and if you're referring to what the connection is displayed as when you connect rather than real speed, it's more likely the fault of your modem, your ISP, or your phone lines.
Disclaimer: "I am in no way qualified to present advice n any topic concerning anything and can not be held responsible for any damages that my advice may incurr (due to neither my negligence nor yours)" o
cutthepeace
cutthepeace
Quote:
Original post by falkone
Oh, and if you're referring to what the connection is displayed as when you connect rather than real speed, it's more likely the fault of your modem, your ISP, or your phone lines.


Yea, I haven't forgotten about those, it's just that I found viewpoint installed the same day as the connection speed changed. On the topic of phone lines, it could be it since last week our line was screwed up, and maybe the problem is resurfacing again.
Drakkcon
Drakkcon
Eliminate the ambiguity and use spybot search and destroy. It's free. You know you want to.
Deranged
Deranged
Actually i removed viewport from add/remove programs...
Lode
Lode
Quote:
Original post by DerAnged
Actually i removed viewport from add/remove programs...


I think the first spyware program that's completely removed and innocent after using add/remove programs still has to be invented.

Spyware has to destroyed with adaware or spybot, it deserves no better.

It's like a mosquito. Do you kindly ask it to leave your room? No, you kill it with insect spray or just squash it between your hands.

[Edited by - Lode on August 2, 2004 4:57:25 AM]
Drevay
Drevay
I connect at, on average, 44.0 kb/s, and I get speeds at, on average, 4.0 kb/s (kilo bytes, not bits). I can connect at 115.2 kb/s every now and then, which is a sweet deal (it's really just the speed from my modem to whatever my modem interfaces with in my computer - but the faster the better).

Anyway, I do connect at 28.8 sometimes, but then I just disconnect, and reconnect again.
_________________Politics is the ability to foretell what is going to happen tomorrow, next week, next month and next year. And to have the ability afterwards to explain why it didn't happen. -- Winston ChurchillGDNet-0.2 - rate users the easy way with this nifty Firefox extension. Updated with new features.
Spintwo
Spintwo
Is viewpoint actually spyware? I removed such a program with add/remove programs as you did (although I think it was called viewpoint, it may have been viewport). If it is a spyware, coudl anyone lead me to a free adware/spyware detect and removal program?
evolutional
evolutional
HOWTO: Remove ViewPoint

ViewPoint: Is it Spyware?

Quote:

The Viewpoint Media Player is often installed without giving the user notice and without mention in the installing program's licensing agreement. The user does not consent to the installation in these cases. Removing the installing program does not remove Viewpoint. These are the primary reasons why Viewpoint is listed as spyware -- it does keep some tracking information (see below) and it does not notify the user.



Quote:
Original post by Charles Hwang
If it is a spyware, coudl anyone lead me to a free adware/spyware detect and removal program?


I recommend a combination of software:

SpyBot
AdAware
AVG Antivirus - Free version

Download and install all these tools. Start your computer in safe mode. Run the spyware detectors and remove all spyware. Reboot in normal mode and run AVG anti virus. Then update your PC from MS WindowsUpdate. Finally, re run the spyware scans (both programs).

I recommend both programs simply because it seems one will pick somethings up that the other may miss and vice versa. The antivirus is used simply because you don't know what sort of crap the spyware installs when it opens the backdoors to your machine. Windows update will make sure you are patched for the latest windows exploits. The whole process should take a couple of hours.

Make sure you run the virus/spyware scan ta least once a week and that you keep them updated. And be careful what you install from t'internet [smile]

cutthepeace
cutthepeace
Looks like it is the phone line or ISP thats screwing up my connection speed since I basically have no trace of Viewpoint anywhere now.
Spintwo
Spintwo
It seems that the need-to-be-deleted files are in the viewpoint folder resulting in deleting that, deleting the files that need to be deleted?
---
http://www.2-spyware.com/parasite-viewpoint-media-player.html is this site's spyware removal program and etc reputable?
---
Quote:
Method of infection:
Through AOL, AOL Instant Messenger, Netscape 7 and others.


How the hell would it get me through those things if I don't d/l or recieve anything via AOL/AIM/Browsers ?

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.