Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

[java] java.lang.IllegalStateException: Component must have a valid peer

Started by Addictman Aug 4, 2004 at 1:31 PM 2 replies 19.9k views
Original Post
Addictman
Addictman
Does anyone know what could cause this exception at the lines below? It happens seemingly at random. I guess the bufferstrategy is not displayable or "flippable"/"blittable", IE: The buffers are not ready. But I cannot really say why... BufferStrategy bufferStrat = myWindow.getBufferStrategy(); if(!bufferStrat.contentsLost()) bufferStrat.show(); Ideas anyone?
Development blog, The Omega Sector -- http://www.omegasector.org
vovansim
vovansim
Hi,

Hmmm.... I had that same problem a couple times...

The problem is when you call getBufferStrategy, the first call eventually trickles down to the Component's createBuffers function. Now, that function, must call the Component's peer member's function of the same name, which of course cannot be done if the peer is null. The question is then, when does the peer get set? Well, that happens, according to the documentation:

The peer is set when the Component is added to a container that also is a peer.


Well, then, I guess what that means is that if you want to get the buffer strategy of a window, then you can't do it until you call the window.setVisible(true), or the show function, because if I am not mistaken, that's when the top-level window obtains it's "peer".

In other words, for instance, this code:

JFrame frame = new JFrame("Test Frame");BufferStrategy strat = frame.getBufferStrategy();


would produce exactly the exception you are seeing.

Vovan

PS: Of course, I am no expert on Java, so I might be wrong. :)
Vovan
Addictman
Addictman
Thanks, I'll try to dig through the code to find out where I am letting this glitch through ;)
Development blog, The Omega Sector -- http://www.omegasector.org
garazdawi
garazdawi
Inorder for you to get the BufferStrategy of any Component, the component has to be visible. Otherwise no BufferStrategy can be created for you to use...
garazdawi - 'I put the laughter back in slaughter'

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.