Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Official GDNet+ Appreciation/Suggestion Thread

Started by Acoustica Aug 10, 2004 at 12:43 AM 194 replies 19.2k views
Original Post
Acoustica
Acoustica
We'll be seeing two major additions to GameDev.net in the next day or two, as stated in Dave's Developer Journal, one of which will be the premium memberships. I'm wondering what features that you know of are you who are signing up looking forward to most? Since I've just started work on a card game with Fruny, I'll definitely be utilizing the developer journal to chronicle our progress, so I'm quite excited about that feature. Another is the personal web space where hopefully screenshots, docs and other game related materials will be stored. Let's hear your plans/suggestions for your GDNet+ memberships! [Edited by - Acoustica on August 10, 2004 2:02:17 AM]
Michael Tanczos
Michael Tanczos
If you have ideas please post them too. This will be *extremely* helpful. Since we are using this to support the site we want to make it as good as possible. We will continue to develop GDNet+ on a consistent basis.. probably adding things more incrementally rather than batches at a time.

So post some ideas too. =)

---
Michael Tanczos
Acoustica
Acoustica
Thanks Michael, I'd be glad to list some suggestions as well.
  • More powerful search tool for forums, making it easier to find past posts that might help address an issue with your own or other's work you'd like to refer them to.
  • Ability to import custom thread title icons
  • Ability to embed small sound/movie files into posts, subject to moderation for content, not used in signatures
  • Option to have signature permanently on, if not too outrageous. [wink]
More to come as my brain starts to get into thinking mode. [smile]
bastard2k5
bastard2k5
Well, my plans...
I would guess I will start with the fact that, after a bit over a year of following this site, I have finally enough time and energy to actually start developing games, so I will use the developer journal to show my progress,or lack thereof, instead of polluting my livejournal with programming related stuff. Probably use an avatar, perhaps also theme it, if I see something more interesting. More supporting something that has become a daily part of my life, and hoping that it remains a part for quite some time to come.
owl
owl
Are you going to allow credit card payment for the membership?

If that were the case, would it be too difficult for you to make gamedev.net work as a sort of paypal for developers to be able to sell their game through you? (giving to gdn some % of sells for the service)
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
pi_equals_3
pi_equals_3
I can't wait for the plus memberships. That's great news.
All of the features just look so awesome, I don't think I could come up with improvements until I have a chance to let the awesomeness sink in. I'll be sure to have my credit card handy over the next couple of days. Hopefully I'll be at a computer when it's announced.

Wow, I'm such a GDNet addict.
Alpha_ProgDes
Alpha_ProgDes
Quote:
Original post by owl
Are you going to allow credit card payment for the membership?

If that were the case, would it be too difficult for you to make gamedev.net work as a sort of paypal for developers to be able to sell their game through you? (giving to gdn some % of sells for the service)
will u accepts checks?
Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.  
smart_idiot
smart_idiot
I'd like to have less restrictions for html. It's pretty unlikely a paying member would go out of their way to break anything.
Chess is played by three people. Two people play the game; the third provides moral support for the pawns. The object of the game is to kill your opponent by flinging captured pieces at his head. Since the only piece that can be killed is a pawn, the two armies agree to meet in a pawn-infested area (or even a pawn shop) and kill as many pawns as possible in the crossfire. If the game goes on for an hour, one player may legally attempt to gouge out the other
Washu
Washu
Ooh! Ooh! Can I have an avatar? I've always wanted one of those!

But more on topic: GDNet+ is one of those things that I think we could have done with 2 years ago! But, of course, we didn't have the new forum software :P Ideas, Sugestions, Bugs? Bring em on!
In time the project grows, the ignorance of its devs it shows, with many a convoluted function, it plunges into deep compunction, the price of failure is high, Washu's mirth is nigh.
Drewish
Drewish
I plan on buying a premium membership (depending on the cost, money is tight right now) but I probably won't put most of it's features to use (live journal, web space, etc.), I'll just be glad to have helped Gamedev (plus, an avatar would be nice).
Sneftel
Sneftel
Personally, the number one feature I'd want would be the ability to get previews of articles currently going through the editorial review process.
Acoustica
Acoustica
Quote:
Original post by Sneftel
Personally, the number one feature I'd want would be the ability to get previews of articles currently going through the editorial review process.
Sort of like a, "First Look" feature? I've been tossing that idea around in my head myself for the last few weeks, as it would be great to see what's being considered, and maybe e-mail the author some comments or whatnot. [smile]
Scheermesje
Scheermesje
I don't know if this is possible but maybe you could use some of the money from the signups to interview professional game developers?

Maybe some pro's can be interviewed if you offer them some money? I think it would be really cool if more professional developers get interested in Gamedev trough an interview and start posting on the forum.
joepremium
joepremium
Joe Premium says: "Interview professionals = good!"
falkone
falkone
As I've stated before, I don't know whether I'd actually use any of the new features..
Disclaimer: "I am in no way qualified to present advice n any topic concerning anything and can not be held responsible for any damages that my advice may incurr (due to neither my negligence nor yours)" o
Mezz
Mezz
Quote:
Original post by owl
Are you going to allow credit card payment for the membership?

If that were the case, would it be too difficult for you to make gamedev.net work as a sort of paypal for developers to be able to sell their game through you? (giving to gdn some % of sells for the service)


This is a damn good idea, IMHO. If you let people on here sell their home-brew games via the site - with a few strings attached like "a demo must also be provided for evaluation" I know the people doing this would probably be few & far between but it may inspire people to work toward a finished product more as they know they'll have somewhere to distribute it for a little money, with a fairly wide userbase. Of course people could still release their stuff for free, it's just the option would be there.

-Mezz
joepremium3
joepremium3
I like the selling idea.. sort of like Garage Games. Unless the games were of commercial quality I doubt they would sell well.. they need not be blockbuster but they should definitely be polished.

---
Michael Tanczos
Washu
Washu
Quote:
Original post by joepremium3
I like the selling idea.. sort of like Garage Games. Unless the games were of commercial quality I doubt they would sell well.. they need not be blockbuster but they should definitely be polished.


I've still got some cerium oxide left over from when I was building my dob. We could use that to polish them! I mean, heck, if it can generate a mirror with 1/100nm accuracy it has to be able to do SOMETHING for games :P

Perhaps toss in a user feedback section for the games? Allowing buyers to provide feedback to the user, bug reports, etc.
In time the project grows, the ignorance of its devs it shows, with many a convoluted function, it plunges into deep compunction, the price of failure is high, Washu's mirth is nigh.
Pipo DeClown
Pipo DeClown
Quote:
Original post by joepremium3
I like the selling idea.. sort of like Garage Games. Unless the games were of commercial quality I doubt they would sell well.. they need not be blockbuster but they should definitely be polished.

---
Michael Tanczos

LOL. Michael, are you bored? Testing it 3 times. [lol]

Anyway, I'd like a premium account too. But I think payment is probably a problem for oversea-members like myself. And most of the people here who are not dads, or e-buying addicts, don't have creditcards. I hope you'll come up with something better for payment.

As for ideas, I would try to keep the premium stuff as an extra, instead of cutting parts for it, i.e. making some articles premium-only. I think access to GD Showcase and the DevJournals are cool enough to keep me happy. :)

NO ADS FOR PREMIUM MEMBERS!! Doesn't bother me though, got Mozilla. [lol]

Tip: Don't overdo the money thing (like buy/sell games).
joepremium3
joepremium3
Premium members won't have any of our bulk ads, only targeted game development ads that you'd actually be interested in. So basically, no more "you are teh winnar!". We apologize to those who like some of those seizure-inducing ads.

That will have to come a little after the launch since I need to figure out what the heck Dave said to do to make that possible. =)

---
Michael Tanczos

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.