Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Saving games at predefined positions (consoles)

Started by Xori Aug 13, 2004 at 9:31 PM 2 replies 900+ views
Original Post
Xori
Xori
Hello all, Console development is something that I'm interested in but just don't have the time or money to be into right now. Nonetheless, I own a PS2 and a few games that I tinker around on now that then. I have always wondered: why do so many games (every game that I've played on PS2, which isn't many) allow saving only at certain points in the game? Does this somehow constrain the amount of memory taken up on the card, etc? Just wondering, as this has been a source of great consternation in my recent play through games like Jak II - which are, in my opinion, just too hard, and I very much dislike running through a 10 minute stretch of play only to fall into the chasm that seems to be below everything, and then start over for the 10th time. Just have to satisfy my morbid curiosity about that one :) Thanks!
darookie
darookie
The rationale behind this is - besides game design issues - simplicity. Saving a game at certain point is much easier and requires, as you already suspected, less memory.

Game states can become quite complex during play and saving all of it might just take to much resources (time and card memory). Keep in mind that not only the player's data has to be stored, but also the current state of most (e.g. at least all visible) enemies and dynamic portions of the environment. Save points are often found in places where no enemies are and no interaction with the environment is possible.
Xori
Xori
Because I am generally just curious (still) :) I have to wonder if there is a better way to approach it. On a PC game, memory and time is of little importance, thus games usually just dump everything to disk. Since I am not familiar with the system resources held by a console such as the PS2 (I only really know that it must limit its savegame sizes to several kilobytes if possible)

I guess what really made me think of this "game design" problem was the article "Designing games for the wage slave" - was a gamedev.net featured article a while back. When I read it, I almost felt that it was a little silly - and after playing Jak II, I feel that the guy who wrote it was absolutely correct.

I dunno - I know for sure that I had time to waste when I was in highschool and college, and now that I graduated and am working full time things have changed.

Oh well, an interesting topic to throw some thought to. Thanks for your reply, darookie.
bobstevens
bobstevens
It's a game design choice, and that's all.

I doubt people consider how much space a save file will take up when they're designing the game, and the size difference is not significant anyway.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.