Original Post
There is an old tradition in film, of remakes. I think remakes are something that happen because Hollywood execs are too damn lazy to write a new story. They make a Beverly Hillbillies move, or all of those SNL-based movies so that they don''t have to worry about the risk of showing the public something *gasp* new!
But there''s another kind of Rip-off. It''s the Tribute! By far, the most tributed man in film history is Akira Kurosawa, the prolific Japanese director. For instance:
Last Man Standing = Yojimbo
The Guns of the Magnificent Seven (and A Bug''s Life) = The Seven Samurai
STar Wars = Hidden Fortress (not really, though. I''ve seen the movie, and Lucas only took bits and pieces. Star Wars is really more of a Tirbute to Kurosawa''s entire career...)
Kurosawa himself was a tributer, remaking many of the works of Shakespeare in a fuedal Japanese setting. My question is, do we do this in games? Why or why not? So far as I can see, this is legally untouchable and morally decent (just don''t deny your sources...) and could make for some much better writing in games if done well. So far as I can see, there might be two kinds...
Non-game
A game with plot or character or various other elements taken from movies, literature, etc. In a way this happens already, but it isn''t terribly well done. Every Fantasy game ever made is technically a rip off of some literature, but they seem to take only the superficial aspects and leave the substance.
Game
This is the most common, but I''d like to see this well done also. Games rip eachother off all the time, but it''s to the point now where some old games are old enough to be used as inspiration for new ones. Riskier, but more appropriate... I just wonder if there''s anything old worth ripping off?
Thing is, Ripping off stuff is the oldest writing technique ever. Everything you ever write borrows from something, a tribute just forces you to admit your sources.
======
"The unexamined life is not worth living."
-Socrates
"Question everything. Especially Landfish."
-Matt