Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Restricting Certain Users from using SSH

Started by modena Aug 16, 2004 at 2:08 AM 4 replies 1.4k views
Original Post
modena
modena
I have a computer set up with Red Hat 9 and have sshd all set up and working. I also have a FTP server on the same box, with one account that all FTP users use to gain access to. I've looked around in man files, searched on google etc but (unless I missed something) haven't been able to find a way to restrict a user from using SSH. What I want is to disable the FTP account's ability to login through SSH and change their password or something similarly hideous. Is this even the right way to look at the problem, or is there another way I should be looking at this? Thanks.
--------------------------<modena> - Comfortably Nub
C-Junkie
C-Junkie
Quote:
Original post by modena
What I want is to disable the FTP account's ability to login through SSH and change their password or something similarly hideous.
Why did you give the ftp account a password, it should just have just been disabled...
Ranok
Ranok
More specifically, you can disable a users ability to login by changing the shell that they use to "/sbin/nologin". (IE. open the file "/etc/passwd", find your ftp user account, and change the last field to be "/sbin/nologin").
---Ranok---

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.