How are Thinkpads for gaming?

Started by
11 comments, last by bastard2k5 19 years, 8 months ago
I'm think of picking up a thinkpad (T42 2373 JXU or a T42 2373 JXU) I was just wondering how they were for gaming and such? They both have 64mb video cards, although I'm worried that the resolution is too high on one.
Advertisement
Laptops are _not_ good for gaming! They lag pretty far bahind the desktop market... did I mention they're not good for gaming?

The desktop I'm on cost around that much (~$3,000) with just about the same specs (although I have a GeForce3 64MB), and it's nearly 4 years old! You could get a very nice desktop for that money with much better performance, and it's always nice to know you can upgrade it.
Ra
I need the portability factor of a laptop, however. I won't be using them for gaming exclusively, but I don't want to be out of the market alltogether.
Quote:Original post by Vasant56
I need the portability factor of a laptop, however. I won't be using them for gaming exclusively, but I don't want to be out of the market alltogether.

How portable are we talking, here? I move my computer every two weeks, not counting going to LANs or other peoples' houses, so I built a nice computer in a shuttle case. It comes with a small carrying bag. Combine that with an LCD and you're set, unless you actually need to run it on a plane, in a car, etc.
- [email=atronic@gamebox.net]Alex Broadwin[/email]- Adroit Creations- My Journal- The All-Knowing One
Quote:Original post by Ra
Laptops are _not_ good for gaming!

That's not really true, actually. Sure, you won't be playing doom 3 on it, but most other things are ok. My only computer for the last two years was a toshiba laptop, and it could play every game that I threw at it until very recently. Also, a friend of mine just got a nice HP laptop. It can't run Doom 3 well, but otherwise it's just fine for gaming.
- [email=atronic@gamebox.net]Alex Broadwin[/email]- Adroit Creations- My Journal- The All-Knowing One
Usually, a gaming laptop is not a good choice. Thyey are often extremely heavy ( > 8 lbs.). They also tend to overheat very easily and the powerful processors (P IV at least) draw alot of power, so you will have to drag around a power cable. What kind of gaming are you wanting to do? If it isn't too high end (not Doom3, HL2, etc.), you could easily get away with a pentium M. They are excellent for mobility, abd are fairly powerful as well. I wouldn't go any higher than a 64 MB graphics card, since they will have the same problems as a powerful CPU.
Sean Henley [C++ Tutor]Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
My laptop is a lower end model, it cost me about 1k, but its powerfull enough to play AVP2 in high res with out lagging.
HxRender | Cornerstone SDL TutorialsCurrently picking on: Hedos, Programmer One
Yeah, I'm not asking to play doom3 in ultra, but I want a chance to play Halflife 2, and Tribes (not at high settings, mind you).

BTW, I'm moving from New Brunswick, Canada, to Kitchener, Ontario. From there, I'll be moving every 4 months.

edit: could someone check out those specs and see if they'll play the games?
Quote:Original post by Ra
Laptops are _not_ good for gaming! They lag pretty far bahind the desktop market... did I mention they're not good for gaming?

I don't understand how you could state that.. I mean especially within the last 2 years.

Right now the notebook I use put about 90% of the desktops out there to shame. I mean there are notebooks meant for desktop replacements now. I remember the first time I took my notebook to a LAN party and the guys were pretty much as you are, "lol wtf a laptop?". Within a few minutes they all wanted one!

EDIT: Although that being said I wouldn't recommend any IBMs for gaming/graphics. I would have to say go with Sager, Dell, Alienware, or high end Toshiba.
Are Dell comps good quality?

What's wrong with IBM's?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement