How are Thinkpads for gaming?

Started by
11 comments, last by bastard2k5 19 years, 9 months ago
Quote:Original post by Vasant56
Are Dell comps good quality?

Some people say yes, some say no. There are two guys at work with the Dell XPS laptops and they are damn nice machines. Especially if you get the upgrade from the mobile 9700 to the mobile 9800-256mb RAM (one of the guys did this and his system performs almost double of the other guy with the 9700)

Quote:
What's wrong with IBM's?

Nothing is really wrong with the IBM systems except for two things.

A.) They mostly aim at the corporate market, and you are therefore paying a bunch of money for the IBM logo, even though the build quality is the same as other machines.

B.) IBMs are mostly used for every day use, and they do not specialize in graphics.

Dell, Alienware, Sager, etc will give you the top mobile chips of today, while IBM usually isn't in that market until you are at a very high price point. Also Toshiba is much prefered over IBM because of their quality and build.
Advertisement
That's one of the things that has me confused.. A lot of people have told me a lot of different things, I'm really not sure what to go with. I'll look into the XPS, though.
I had a T20 in a previous life, it didn't have a graphics board that could game beyond anything in software rendering mode, but it was a very good, solid machine, and it worked fine for me. I actually don't have any laptop at the moment, and am looking at the current models from everyone to see what I am going to get. IBM's are fairly expensive at this point in the game, considering the specs of their machines, versus other manufacturers. They seem to only have either Radeon 9600 or FireGL T2 in the high end configurations. I am not sure if that is the best for gaming, but I think a T42 would meet the specs of what you want, in both of the models, just choose the one with more features that you want. So, it is really up to you, if you want an IBM for what they have to offer, as far as being solid, and their features set, I would say go for it. If budget is more of your concern, I would go with someone that is less expensive, but still has good support. Perhaps checking with resellerratings.com, or checking out the Laptop Recommendations thread that Dave started.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement