Original Post
Hi there. I'm a student at an American university and a hobbyist game programmer who'd like to eventually break into the industry full-time. Though I've been doing this stuff since I was a freshman in high school (and I'm now a senior in college) I've mostly been experimenting and playing with ideas I have rather than making complete games. Though I'd like to make complete games, I've had trouble finding many others to take on the non-programming burdens (I'd usually take all the coding on myself), and after I've worked on a project for a long time without any exterior pressures keeping me on it, I've inevitably gotten somewhat tired of it and thought of newer, more interesting ideas that I'd rather pursue...A lot of you guys out there know how it is, I'm sure. One kind of project which is always alluring (but which seems technically impossible for a hobbyist like myself) is the prospect of an MMORPG. Oh, to engineer such a technical marvel and have it work, to play with the design and get it just so, to have hundreds/thousands of players interacting in a world that we made! Pipe dreams naturally, for how could we get a dedicated server that could handle such a load, and keep it up for the duration that people want to play it? We recall that long before we ever had corporate-funded MMORPGs, various universities hosted MUDs, the Multi-User Dungeons which were all text-based games (generally run on UNIX systems) and which were immensely popular with the students who played them. People could just log on (usually from a telnet client, meaning practically from any computer with internet access) and play whenever they wanted, without having to worry about any monthly fees -- being a student of the school was good enough. To my knowledge, many such universities still host these games to this day... Now, near the end of last year, one of my fellow students (a fellow named Kevin) started a game development group as part of the engineering department of my school, and after joining, Kevin recognized my years of programming experience and put me as programming lead. Kevin has seen to it that our club is very well-grounded administratively, and now that I'm not going solo in the programming department anymore (and yes, we're actually working decently as a team, and yes, we have artists too) we're actually doing alright. My school has never had a MUD. Though the thought of wanting to make it one had crossed my mind a couple years back, the thought never went too far -- since I was so easily distracted by my less far-flung, local ideas -- and I never even got around to mentioning the idea to any faculty...But now Kevin has, and he's even done one better, and proposed to them the idea of our club making the school a graphical MMORPG the students can play, if they'd lend us a server for it. And they're going for it. So naturally this turns everything around! Suddenly my imagination is running wild with all the possibilities, all the things we can do, and that it can actually work, and we'll have a system for it to run on! What a lucky break! So here comes my question for you guys: if you were in my position, to actually have the resources available to be able to make and host your own MMORPG at a university like this, how would you design it? Naturally I've got a lot of ideas myself, and likely due to my nature of a programmer, many of them are functional in nature and have to do with a detailed scripting system allowing a lot of programmable game-event possibilities, or player-programmable robots (to be used for manual tasks including farming and running stores) which I hope can allow for an entirely player-run economy! To be honest, this thing isn't even completely set in stone, but it really sounds like it's getting there. I'm terribly excited, and I want this to be the best it can be. Being designed for an educational facility, I'm sure everything will be open-source and that play will be free but only granted to students of the university (and hopefully certain exceptions, like me after I'm gone!). So in the name of making this game the best it can be, if you've got some ideas for what could make this MMORPG amazing, please out with 'em here! Or alternatively, if you know what you'd want to do in my situation, post that here. I look forward to your responses -- thanks for your time!