Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

D3DDEVTYPE_SW

Started by Agony Aug 30, 2004 at 2:55 PM 2 replies 4.4k views
Original Post
Agony
Agony
Does anyone know of any D3d9 software rasterizers (don't need to be complex or fully featured) that have been made and are freely available to use? I doubt I'm gonna get any positive replies on this one, but I hafta check. I'm getting kind of desparate here at work. We're trying to get a product done within like the next 24 hours (yeah, we have a very informal and sometimes crazy work style here), and we need a preview window of the player for the editor GUI. I've simply thrown everything into a DLL that allows the editor to load the player in a smaller window, but the editor won't necessarily be running on high-end machines that the player normal plays on. Sometimes, the computer running the editor won't even support alpha-blending, something critical to the player, and thus the preview. So I've tried using the reference rasterizer. I can get around 2 or 3 frames a second, just barely good enough for us to scrape by for the time being. However, I suppose since typical DX9 installs don't come with the RefRast, I'd have to copy the appropriate DLLs for that (which I don't know, but MS might not prefer). Plus the RefRast is obviously quite slow, and a software renderer might be somewhat quicker. I certainly don't have the time or experience to write my own at the moment, unfortunately. So, anything available that anyone knows of? Otherwise, is there any way to [quickly, as in programming time] get alpha blending to work when hardware doesn't support it, regardless of the performance hit? (I only need a few frames a second.)
"We should have a great fewer disputes in the world if words were taken for what they are, the signs of our ideas nly, and not for things themselves." - John Locke o
DaJudge
DaJudge
For D3D8 there is one somewhere on sourceforge (actually a pretty fast one as far as pixel shaders go), but I didn't head of one for D3D9, yet.

Sorry...
Alex
Alexander Stockinger
Programmer
Agony
Agony
I suppose I could change the whole project to DX8 relatively easily. Wait, no, I use VMR-9 for video rendering, and I suppose I would absolutely need DX9 to get that to work... I think...
"We should have a great fewer disputes in the world if words were taken for what they are, the signs of our ideas nly, and not for things themselves." - John Locke o
Muhammad Haggag
Muhammad Haggag
I don't know of any pluggable software devices that you can create with D3DDEVTYPE_SW. However, there's sw-shader on sourceforge.net, as someone else said. It's a software renderer with ps2.0 support, and it's pretty fast.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.