Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Poll! (sort of)

Started by IronWolf Sep 7, 2004 at 5:03 PM 15 replies 2k views
Original Post
IronWolf
IronWolf
I'm sure this has been asked before, however, Who here actually has a job in the game devlopment industry (including art and or programming of course)? Be as specific as you can as far as what you do and what it is like in the place you work. [cool]
caffeineaddict
caffeineaddict
Don't have a steady job in games, but I have done a few freelance things (non-programming) for a couple of games, one of which was published, and one is still in development. Probably not what you're looking for though. All of the work I did was from my house, so I can't help you there :-p.
bakery2k1
bakery2k1
I almost have a job in a company who are almost in the game industry...

Next month I start at ARM, who designed the processor at the heart of the GBA, amongst many other things.
wendigo23
wendigo23
I have recieved paychecks from 5 real game companies. ;)
technomancer
technomancer
I did have a job interview with bigworldtech here in Sydney ... does that count :)
Adraeus
Adraeus
The game development industry is a broad range of talent and services. Anyone involved with the development of a game, including management and production and quality assurance, are considered game developers. I own a a strategic branding studio which is listed in the contractor database on Gamasutra. So we're offering creative services to game development companies. I'd say that counts.
I Like Bread
I Like Bread
I have officially worked at a company called Numbermind studios, who are best known for releasing a few open-source graphics engines and then coming to a grinding halt.
______Numbermind StudiosCurrently in hibernation.
MindWipe
MindWipe
I work with making mobile phone games. I'm currenly working on one of the "big movies'" game (Dunno if I can say what movie, so I won't) all pretty cool.

I work from home. I love the job, sometimes it just feels too easy and not as a real job :) But it pays the bills. Why it feels so easy and not as a real job is because now I work with what I usually do in my free time. Actualy I like as much working on our current project as any of my own projects. Feels pretty good to be a team working, cause if you have a bad day you know work is still getting done on the project.

The only problem is that I spend all weekdays working. I mean, I work all day, but I spend time here and in the none-existant-place. And take breaks to watch some TV, go out for a run. But I'm never really off the job during the weekdays(and I mostly work on sunday too, if not code I atleast think about how to do stuff). But this is probably the result of getting to do something I really like.

/MindWipe
"To some its a six-pack, to me it's a support group."
Thermodynamics
Thermodynamics
I will be the first to say that I do not work in the Industry.

I work on a dump.... literally.... really

I don't even call myself a hobbiest, since my coding is so terrible I have yet to make my tetris clone. On the other hand I do like playing games, and I am kinda nerdy, so I seem to fit in with a percentage of the people on the boards.
[s]I am a signature virus. Please add me to your signature so that I may multiply.[/s]I am a signature anti-virus. Please use me to remove your signature virus.
Eelco
Eelco
im not really a game programmer at all. actually i think most game programming aspects are arther boring. im more of an applied mathematician than a gamedevver. noetheless, these forums provide an excellent lurking place [grin].
S1CA
S1CA
Yes. Programmer at Acclaim.

Or at least I was up until a week and a half ago...
Simon O'Connor | Technical Director (Newcastle) Lockwood Publishing | LinkedIn | Personal site
Starboy
Starboy
Designer/Artist/Company Founder. Ex-console/PC, now mobile.

Sorry to hear about Acclaim Simon, although I know we're interviewing quite a few guys from your place so hopefully most of you can find jobs back in the industry soon (if that's what you want to do)
--------------------------------------------Rockpool GamesMani Golf
S1CA
S1CA
Quote:
Original post by Starboy
Sorry to hear about Acclaim Simon, although I know we're interviewing quite a few guys from your place so hopefully most of you can find jobs back in the industry soon (if that's what you want to do)


Cheers. Yep, no doubt everyone will find new work soon enough - most people (myself included) have one or two irons in the fire in terms of finding new jobs - there were some very talented people at the various studios. Let's just hope the industry sorts itself out soon...
Simon O'Connor | Technical Director (Newcastle) Lockwood Publishing | LinkedIn | Personal site
Rainniar
Rainniar
I'm a QA Manager for a Trip-A Development house
Tiffany_Smith
Tiffany_Smith
Quote:
Original post by S1CA
Quote:
Original post by Starboy
Sorry to hear about Acclaim Simon, although I know we're interviewing quite a few guys from your place so hopefully most of you can find jobs back in the industry soon (if that's what you want to do)


Cheers. Yep, no doubt everyone will find new work soon enough - most people (myself included) have one or two irons in the fire in terms of finding new jobs - there were some very talented people at the various studios. Let's just hope the industry sorts itself out soon...


Move to Southern California! I know of a couple of companies that might be hiring. [smile]

Although Canada is actually the best bet for work right now, with Ubisoft and EA hiring like nobody's business.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.