🔒 Locked
Eye floaters
Advertisement
Original Post
Hey, the other topic by Charles related to his eye problem made me think of something which is annoying me since a few weeks.. I think I have some "Eye Floaters".. I didn't know what this was since I few minutes ago, after looking on some medical website related to eyes problems. Here is a short description: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002085.htm Well, I remember, since I was young, to always have had those. They were only visible when looking into pale textures, like the sky or a sheet of paper. But I was pretty much never paying attention to that and never noticing them. Althought since a few weeks, in my right eye, it seems that I'm seeing a lot of them, and I notice them often. It's now hard to stop thinking about that when I'm in front of the computer or when I'm reading a something on a white sheet. My left eye seems to be pratically clear of them, I can only see some small ones in the edges of my left eye vision when I'm moving it really fast.. But there's never anything crossing the center of the vision of my left eye, while with the right eye, many "floaters" are crossing the center of the vision all the time when I'm moving my eye. On the webpage, they say "floaters looks like spots to some people, and they look like tiny threads to other. I see both. They also say "If you notice a sudden increase in floaters or if you see floaters along with flashes of light, call your eye doctor." There seems to be an increase in the amount of floaters, but I never saw any flash of light. On this webpage, they seems to say that it's a pretty normal phenomen and that the "floaters" can come and go without treatment.. I'm wondering if any of you also experiment that? So do you think it is normal? Should I be worried about my right eye? Thanks
I've had these on and off for years. I always thought it was dust sticking to a film of moisture, or something...
It couldn't hurt to go to a doctor and have him look at it. If you're worried about it, then just have it checked out.
I, too, have these "floaters" at times, especially when I look at a white wall (for the same reasons as your piece of paper).
On another note, a friend of mine got a horrible case of these after doing way too many hallucinogens.
I, too, have these "floaters" at times, especially when I look at a white wall (for the same reasons as your piece of paper).
On another note, a friend of mine got a horrible case of these after doing way too many hallucinogens.
Go see your doctor, just to be safe. It's like if you're looking for an appropriate article for a school essay - if you find yourself in doubt about whether it's appropriate, it's probably not (random example there...).
I get these when I stare at a bright light through a window.
I get these when I stare at a bright light through a window.
I see floater strands. There's one that looks like a J that I've been seeing since I was a kid. My eye doctor did a test to see if it was a problem for me, so that sounds like a good option for you, too.
Yup, I get them. I've noticed they occur more frequently if I smoke more than usual, too. I remember when I first noticed them, I got on google and search for "eye squiggles" or something of the sort. At one site it mentioned something about being a precursor to retinal detachment, though this is rare. My dad's retina detached when he was my age, so I was all freaked out and ended up seeing an eye doctor. Fortunately, I just have normal floaters like everyone else.
So, I would say that unless they are persistant as in you completely lose vision in that part of your eye, you are fine. If those floaters start leaving "holes" in your vision, then get to a doctor fast.
- heap
So, I would say that unless they are persistant as in you completely lose vision in that part of your eye, you are fine. If those floaters start leaving "holes" in your vision, then get to a doctor fast.
- heap
I've always had these. A few years ago a significant part of my left eye actually changed color.
I'm not that much worried about it, the problem is that they're annoying me and often making me lose my concentration.
I just fell on a forum, those "floaters" seem to be really common, and they seem to have driven some people insane. :/
http://p198.ezboard.com/bfloatertalk
Here is a gallery for those wondering, mine look pretty much like most of those:
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/viney.nancy/floaters/gallery.html
I just fell on a forum, those "floaters" seem to be really common, and they seem to have driven some people insane. :/
http://p198.ezboard.com/bfloatertalk
Here is a gallery for those wondering, mine look pretty much like most of those:
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/viney.nancy/floaters/gallery.html
Seems to me you just learned about a medical problem and got worried you had it. Ever read through a book of medical conditions and get scared to death because you exhibit the symptoms of half of them (or start doing so after reading the book)? [wink]
I have these. I even remember looking at them once during a long wait for the bus; I just laid on the bus stop bench staring up and thinking, "Why do I see ameobas?" [grin] I even tried moving them around by jerking my eyes. Fun. [smile]
I have these. I even remember looking at them once during a long wait for the bus; I just laid on the bus stop bench staring up and thinking, "Why do I see ameobas?" [grin] I even tried moving them around by jerking my eyes. Fun. [smile]
Quote:
Original post by 23yrold3yrold
Seems to me you just learned about a medical problem and got worried you had it. Ever read through a book of medical conditions and get scared to death because you exhibit the symptoms of half of them (or start doing so after reading the book)? [wink][smile]
Well, no. =D
As I said, I experiment those constantly since a few weeks, that is the reason why I searched for medical information about it. And in fact, the informations I got were nothing to be worried of (as you can see in the first web page I submitted).
I used to play with them by moving them around my eyes too.. But it stops been fun when they're visible all the time when looking at a pale surface.
Also, I recently used a microscope in Biology to look at some bacterias. I saw only really small one.. untill I finally saw a really big one moving quite fast.. It was looking like a big dark and blury spot, so I tried to adjust my lens, but it didn't work, the spot kept been blury. The bacteria was still moving really fast in the middle of the objective.
I was about to tell my friend to go see this bacteria, untill I realised what it might really be.
So I looked into the microscope with my left eye.. and of course, the was no more "bacteria".
After all, it was just a big "floater" which had become more apparent while looking into the microscope.
That was quite weird.. :/
edit: typos
[Edited by - Hedos on September 15, 2004 10:05:25 PM]
That thing with the floaters in your eye can be caused by the vitreous humor (the clear jelly bit of your eye) coming detacted from the back of your eye, usually caused by a bang to the eye or something. I have this in my left eye, and i'm sorry to say there is no cure. It starts off really annoying, but you get used to it eventually.
To me it looks like a big main floater with loads of strings coming off of it. Usually they become more visible looking at a blue sky or bright white paper, and also when squinting at a light.
Very annoying.
To me it looks like a big main floater with loads of strings coming off of it. Usually they become more visible looking at a blue sky or bright white paper, and also when squinting at a light.
Very annoying.
I've had those for as long as I can remember. Whenever I get my eyes checked the doctor says that my eyes are good. (aside from the fact that I have terrible vision) If they're really bothering you, it probably won't last long. Some months I won't think/notice them, but then they'll be really bad for a while.
Quote:
Original post by 23yrold3yrold
Seems to me you just learned about a medical problem and got worried you had it. Ever read through a book of medical conditions and get scared to death because you exhibit the symptoms of half of them (or start doing so after reading the book)? [wink]
I'm a hypocondriac to some extent.
I read about a study in which some people took placebos and were told that it has certain side effects. Some of those people managed to get those side effects. It's interesting what you can convice your body of.
Quote:
Original post by PnP Bios
Hell yes I'd go see a doctor if I looked like that.. Though those "floaters" don't seem to be worth seeing a doctor..
Were you really serious, do you think I should go see a doctor? Or you only really wanted to post that pic? :D
Quote:
Original post by Hedos Quote:
Original post by PnP Bios
Hell yes I'd go see a doctor if I looked like that.. Though those "floaters" don't seem to be worth seeing a doctor..
Were you really serious, do you think I should go see a doctor? Or you only really wanted to post that pic? :D
lol yeah. i just wanted to post the pic. I figured, hell, it took me half an hour to upload it, might as well get some circulation out of it.
lets make it the official see a doctor pic!
Quote:
Original post by Hedos
...
So I looked into the microsoft with my left eye.. and of course, the was no more "bacteria".
...
sorry to pick on it, but I have been proofreading all day and it is hard to stop.
I have had these my whole life. You guys are lucky; my parents thought I was "seeing things" and for a time thought I needed psychiatric treatment.
They are pretty common and the doctor who explained it to me said it is not anything to worry about but to keep an eye (:P) on it and let him know if it gets worse. Of course, I have to see a specialist for my eyes once a year because sunlight causes some pretty intense headaches for me due to a defect in my eyes.
Like many others have suggested, you should see a doctor about this just for your own piece of mind.
Quote:
Original post by ChaoticCanuck Quote:
Original post by Hedos
...
So I looked into the microsoft with my left eye.. and of course, the was no more "bacteria".
...
sorry to pick on it, but I have been proofreading all day and it is hard to stop.
I have had these my whole life. You guys are lucky; my parents thought I was "seeing things" and for a time thought I needed psychiatric treatment.
They are pretty common and the doctor who explained it to me said it is not anything to worry about but to keep an eye (:P) on it and let him know if it gets worse. Of course, I have to see a specialist for my eyes once a year because sunlight causes some pretty intense headaches for me due to a defect in my eyes.
Like many others have suggested, you should see a doctor about this just for your own piece of mind.
Thanks for your comments.
And.. I can't believe I actually wrote "microsoft" instead of "microscope". [oh] [oh]
I mean, I seriously thought you edited the quote to make some kind of joke at first, but then I went back to my post and realised I actually wrote that. :|
Quote:
I have had these my whole life. You guys are lucky; my parents thought I was "seeing things" and for a time thought I needed psychiatric treatment.
[grin]
Coming from a medical background, let me point out 1 or 2 things.
1) Your eyes can tell a lot about your overall health. Floaters can be harmless, but they can also signal health concerns such as diabetes, retinal problems, changes in eye pressure, high blood pressure and connective tissue disorders to name a few.
Most of you will go see and eye doctor and get a clean bill of health. A few of you may have an underlying problem that should be addressed and treated.
1) Your eyes can tell a lot about your overall health. Floaters can be harmless, but they can also signal health concerns such as diabetes, retinal problems, changes in eye pressure, high blood pressure and connective tissue disorders to name a few.
Most of you will go see and eye doctor and get a clean bill of health. A few of you may have an underlying problem that should be addressed and treated.
2)Many of us experience these floater when our eyes get tired. As game developers, you spend hours in front of your computer screen. Every hour or so, lean back and rest your eyes. If it doesn't help the floaters, it will at least help the muscles in your eyes.
3)Again, while floaters are generally harmless, even today's technology can not always (or even often) restore sight. Rather than waiting until full fields of vision are compromised, take a few minutes and make an appointment with an eye doctor. He/She will ease your mind while also giving you tips on how to reduce or deal with the floaters.
Here's my quote for the day:
Quote:
If you have floaters, you should always have them checked out by a doctor as they can be signs of more serious conditions.
Topic Locked
This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.
Sign in to reply to this topic.
Advertisement