Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Visual C++ 8 beta.....

Started by OME Sep 25, 2004 at 2:32 PM 13 replies 2.4k views
Original Post
OME
OME
I have never used anything newer then Visual Studio 6 and am a bit lost. How do I set up OpenGL in Nehe's chapter 1 tutorial? I am missing 6 badly since I am so use to it but I need to move on;)
fyhuang
fyhuang
Well, from what I've seen, you go to File->New, select Windows Console Application (bear with me here), and then you go through the steps until you find a selection between a console application and a windows application. Pick windows. Then, you can add new files to your 'solution' (I have no clue what these are for) that you've edited/created.

Hope it helps...
- fyhuang [ site ]
OME
OME
Yeah I figured out the how to get a windows app instead of a console and all that I am just having a hard time figuring out where project/settings/link/ Object/Library Modules or equivalent went...or maybe I am just not paying enough attention...all foriegn to me right now.
Daddy-O
Daddy-O
Quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
I agree. I absolutely hate how Microsoft has completely changed the interface after 6. That's pretty much a slap in the face to loyal users.


Stop livin in the past dude!
Lyve
Lyve
I'm still using 6, I hate it that all my shortcuts that I learned aren't working anymore with the new versions, although they've got some nice features (stl debugging, call browser, debugging release apps, good profiler, ...).
I also hate it that the new version is eating >100mb memory whereas the old one needs ~15-30mb.
_____________________________________http://www.winmaze.de, a 3D shoot em up in OpenGL, nice graphics, multiplayer, chat rooms, a nice community, worth visiting! ;)http://www.spheretris.tk, an upcoming Tetrisphere clone for windows, a 3D tetris game on a sphere with powerful graphics for Geforce FX and similar graphics cards.
dawidjoubert
dawidjoubert
Thats the Reason why my pc LAGS!

You see i dual view and then have 3-4 projects open at one time considering that i can copy a paste across and i dont need to re-write any code!! But with my bigger project(s) like the 3d quake 3 engine it takes 1 minute to switch to the application!

So u say if i revert to c++ 6 i would lose the problem!?DJ
----------------------------http://djoubert.co.uk
Pxtl
Pxtl
No matter what, use VC++ 2003 or newer. Why? Complete implementation of the STL. If you're not using the STL, you're not coding in C++ - stop hacking together containers, algorithms, etc. and use the STL.
-- Single player is masturbation.
Lyve
Lyve
Quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
In Visual Studio .NET 2003, start it up, go to "My Profile" at the start page and change yur Keyboard Scheme to Visual C++ 6


I did that of course, but Find in Files e.g. is no longer ALT+e+i, it's now ALT+e+f+i

Quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
Again, I can't speak for Beta 8, but .Net 2003 is currently taking up 17 Megs of memory according to task manager.


That depends on the workspaces you're working with. My impression is that the new version eat a lot more memory per file in the workspace.
_____________________________________http://www.winmaze.de, a 3D shoot em up in OpenGL, nice graphics, multiplayer, chat rooms, a nice community, worth visiting! ;)http://www.spheretris.tk, an upcoming Tetrisphere clone for windows, a 3D tetris game on a sphere with powerful graphics for Geforce FX and similar graphics cards.
Lyve
Lyve
Quote:
Original post by Pxtl
No matter what, use VC++ 2003 or newer. Why? Complete implementation of the STL. If you're not using the STL, you're not coding in C++ - stop hacking together containers, algorithms, etc. and use the STL.


STL is working well with VC6, I do always use them.
_____________________________________http://www.winmaze.de, a 3D shoot em up in OpenGL, nice graphics, multiplayer, chat rooms, a nice community, worth visiting! ;)http://www.spheretris.tk, an upcoming Tetrisphere clone for windows, a 3D tetris game on a sphere with powerful graphics for Geforce FX and similar graphics cards.
llvllatrix
llvllatrix
Quote:
Original post by Pxtl
No matter what, use VC++ 2003 or newer. Why? Complete implementation of the STL. If you're not using the STL, you're not coding in C++ - stop hacking together containers, algorithms, etc. and use the STL.


There is a reason a lot of game programmers stay away from C++ - procedural design is very suited to game development...Your choice of IDE depends on what you are doing. I mean, I know a few guys who like to code in VIM...
RipTorn
RipTorn
Just remember in VS.net 2002/2003/8, pretty much everything can be customized. I mean everything.

If the keyboard shorcuts arn't to your liking, you can change them, they are in Tools->Options->Environment->Keyboard, and then enter 'Find' in the action filter, and you will see the find in files action, where you will see the current key. For me this is ctrl-alt-F which works very well for me.

Also absolutly every tab and window and pane can be moved around. You can make it look damn near exactly like VC6 if you want, but I personally don't find this as productive.


I've been recently using embedded VC++ 6 for a pocket pc project, and honestly I really really miss the VS.net ide (however I also found it difficult to get used to).


Quote:

I have never used anything newer then Visual Studio 6 and am a bit lost. How do I set up OpenGL in Nehe's chapter 1 tutorial? I am missing 6 badly since I am so use to it but I need to move on;)


VC 8 should import old VC.net and VC6 projects, so download one of them and import it.. it should work. if it doesn't then we should be able to help you out...

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.