Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

MMORPG requests a team!

Started by hades5k Sep 30, 2004 at 2:41 PM 29 replies 4.9k views
Original Post
hades5k
hades5k
First of all, you can have more information on the site http://www.edungeon.net/home.php I want to make a new MMORPG. I know it is an ambitious project, requiring a lot of work and everything. Creating a massive persistent world is a job. There's many good games outside, but I want to add a little something. But that cannot be revealed here ;) Just contact me if you have anything to offer. Of course, some kind of experience would be appreciated, although not absolutely required. I know its just an idea, and I know that there's many good idea around, but I know that if we can achieve this game, it will worth 1000 times the efforts. Contact me!
Alura
Alura
*sigh* Why do they keep trying?

No offence, but usually we get 1000 "I want to make a MMORPG, it has special features never unheard of but I can't tell them, because otherwise, everyone will copy them. So now, I want a team!" kind of posts.

These projects fail and fall like butterflies after being shot at with a shotgun, why? Simple, a MMORPG takes a huge amount of work, first you have the code itself, then the world, then the art and then the gameplay (not really ordered anyway..). So, what I and others would sugest is a simpler game for a start.

xwfuro
xwfuro
ehh this website has some lame people on it, all u guys do is cut down on people, let them say what they want and dont post your stupid comments fool. everytime i read help wanted posts its always one of u idiots trying to criticize things. Thats cool if u think its gonna fail etc, but no one wants to hear it so shut your mouth idiot.
Sadness
Sadness
It's simple

xwfuro Member since: 9/13/2004 From: Ireland

You have been A member here since the last 2 weeks.

Can you tell me HOW MUCH mmorpg thread you have seen saying the same thing ?


Can you tell me then why there's not a lot of good choices on the mmorpg scene then ? Why it's the big one that produce them ?

-----------------------Happiness in slavery !-----------------------
Alura
Alura
Quote:

ehh this website has some lame people on it, all u guys do is cut down on people, let them say what they want and dont post your stupid comments fool. everytime i read help wanted posts its always one of u idiots trying to criticize things. Thats cool if u think its gonna fail etc, but no one wants to hear it so shut your mouth idiot.


I would accept that as an unbiased comment if it were not for the fact that you aspire to make a MMORPG also, or so your last thread points out.
xwfuro
xwfuro
exactly, and once again your opinion really doesnt matter to anyone else? who cares if u hear the same thing over and over, it isnt your problem lol. all im saying is dont be a fag and ruin other people dreams or ideas just bc u think theres no cance of success. hush up now .
Michalson
Michalson
You're about 2 seconds from a suspension xwfuro. Cool it now.
Deranged
Deranged
Thank you boolean!

xwfuro
xwfuro
lol right, alot of dicks on this site think they know more than ne one else :) peace.
Deranged
Deranged
If you cant make pong, how are yuo going to make a world class 3d '1337' mmorpg?
EDI
EDI
Oh... Oh... i've been waiting for another one...



"you want to make an MMORPG?"
"we want to make sure you are aware of what your getting into."

I think there should be perhaps be a pre-requisite for members to post about a MMORPG project, perhaps, at least having produced an _RPG_ beforehand. =)
M__N__M
M__N__M
Quote:
ehh this website has some lame people on it, all u guys do is cut down on people, let them say what they want and dont post your stupid comments fool. everytime i read help wanted posts its always one of u idiots trying to criticize things. Thats cool if u think its gonna fail etc, but no one wants to hear it so shut your mouth idiot.

i sort of agree with him without all the attitude :D

with every new I WANNA MMORPG post, there is alot of harsher critisism right beside it. Just after 1 second of posting, an avalanche of flame from users here pours down on the authors of the post.

Im not saying its not hard to do an mmorpg, it takes a very dedicated and talented "team" to make a cool mmo game which not many people realise.
But they are never gonna realise that with everyone describing it to them.

Quote:
These projects fail and fall like butterflies after being shot at with a shotgun

these projects dont succeed cause most of the people who will do the "hard" work dont join as they can see clearly where the project is going (down) regardless of the dedication from its leader. And those who do join learn a valuable lesson with the leader of the project, and its that MMORPG's take alot more effort and dedication then they put in. Hence they will be wiser in the future when selecting projects or working on them

If the leader is really dedicated he will start producing some sort of design documents and start sketching up some framework of a detailed idea which should make it more appealing for people to help in with.

ROFL @ cartoons
darookie
darookie
Well, this project could get that extra bit of attention if you could show us any previously finished projects of yours.
This is one of the things I miss most with all these MMORPG projects...

I've yet to see any volunteer project that actually grew to be a playable working game (and didn't get commercial after a short free beta phase [wink]).

So please folks, start out small. Gain some experience (like writing MODs) and actually finish something less ambitious first. I'm sure you get some good people if you can prove them that you have the skills and endurance to finish a project.
When I made my first "big" game about 9 years ago, it took me two full years to get a fully playable version and three years until I had all the features I wanted. Pros have big teams and work fulltime several years on projects like that. The comments on your site sound like you've nothing finished to show yet. Try a small project first (e.g. on your own), then gather small team for something bigger to get some experience in team leading and project management. Don't waste your time on a project that will get you nowhere because you won't get anything done.

Sorry, but I just couldn't resist after seeing so many threads like this one lately...

Good luck anyway,
Pat.
yodaman
yodaman
hehe.. I have a few friends that are wanting to develop games. None of them have ever writen anything more complex then a hello world, what is your name? app, so when they all come to me and there like "hey, we decided that we want to develop a really awsome l33t mmorpg ...for the xbox, it's going to have endless worlds with loading like in halo and will use the polybump tech like in FarCry"..."oh oh and a built in editor like doom3".

Well as you can probably imagine, I have to keep saying "I can't do that sorta stuff" which makes them all think that I really suck at coding. Anyway, I pointed them to a few "I want to make a mmorpg!" threads and showed them the source code to space donuts 3d (dx8 sdk)... Were now planning to make mods for ut2k4 ;)

I hate when people shoot my hopes down, but really, a mmorpg is going to be an impossability unless you are well exp at making games. Even then, how are you going to support the mmo part for the next 5 years (ie. do you have the thousands it will cost for the servers and I.T people?)?

If you wanna make a mmorpg, thats fine, but it's not going to happen unless you have a very skilled team, lots of money and time, and most importantly, you have lots of experience!

~Jason
www.jinx.com www.thebroken.org www.suprnova.org www.mozilla.org
BioMors
BioMors
You guys are hilarious, I love this forum!

Seriously though. The most important thing, I feel, in leading a team on a large projects (it really doesn't matter what it is) is leadership ability.
I don't care if you're the best programmer in the world, or you don't know any syntax at all- it doesn't really matter. What is important is an understanding of each of your 'subordinates' jobs, and leadership skill.

I have a strong understanding of what everybody in my team is doing. I'm an artist myself, and do freelance graphic design, and also have a fairly strong background with game art, and some experience with 3d art. I've also had a couple semesters of computer science; I know a bit of C++ and Java, and it helps that I can program a small RPG myself (although it was simple and little buggy- okay a lot buggy). Those are the least of my skills, however, because the primary function I serve is for writing and game design in my team (this is where experience comes in handy).

In an ideal world, any group of people with enough talent could get together and make a game, and it's easy to get such a group together- but in reality all of those people will not share the exact same vision, they will not be infinitely motivated. All of your team members are human beings, flaws and all- a strong leader needs to spend a great deal of time simply talking with their best team members, making sure their lives are descent. One of your artists having trouble in chemistry class? Well a good leader will know this, and will either tutor them him/herself, or find somebody to do that.
Leading a team you aren't paying is more than dishing out orders, because for every dollar you aren't dispensing you have to generate that much motivation and love for the project.

I believe it's the misconception that all of the team members will always be as motivated and as cooperative as they were on day one that dooms most teams from the beginning. Game design needs to be thought of a bit like a team sport in a high school- they aren't getting paid, their only motivations are fun and the reward that may come some day IF they do well. Some day they could get a great scholarship, they could become very popular, they could be discovered and get on a national sport team- this thought is about as likely as profit and fame coming from an indie game, if the team starts out with misconceptions of this they are doomed to encounter a strong depression when the realization hits. Not only is it unlikely, but it becomes less likely if the team isn't motivated, so the depression is a self perpetuating cycle that leads to a total lack of motivation when it comes. If a team remains motivated on the other hand, it becomes more and more likely, which generates more motivation. Fun is all well and good, but it usually isn't enough to run a team on all by itself- people want to see their project go somewhere, so ultimately a team leader will encounter strong motivational challenges- and if they aren't ready that will be the kiss of death for the project.

I don't care how much talent you've got, talented people are a dime a dozen. True motivation and leadership skills, however, are incredibly rare.

A resume that lists captain of a sports team, president of a student organization, and volunteer youth counselor is one that would impress me far more than all the programming or art skills anybody can brag about. With a good leader anything is possible, don't let the difficulty of a particular project detour you, but be ready for the challenges that come with any project that involves more than one person- the bigger the project, the bigger that challenge.

Good luck in your endeavors.

PS. If you are interested in joining an existing team (it might be a good idea) there are many on this forum. You can PM me or any number of other members and inquire as to how you could join one of their teams.
~BioMors
hades5k
hades5k
When I came back on the forum I was happy to see there was 14 replies to my post.

When I started to read them, I changed my opinion. Except for a xmfuro, there was nothing pleasant at all. Worst, the only person actually encouraging me is the one which is blame by the staff. How weird.

And then I saw BioMors reply. With xmfuro, he was the only one not having unpleasant comments.

He's absolutely right. My boss right now own a programming company. We have a product used worldwide about compliance and you know what? My boss is not a programmer. I think he can use Outlook to read mail and reply. I think.

I am building a team. Some of them WILL have good programming skills, other will have artistic skills and so on. If you guys tell me that you can make a game, alone, with the best story, gameplay and everything... than ok, I'll shut up.

I was asking for people interested in the project, not the other way around. This site isn't about getting help? Finding resources? Look at the topic of this forum "HELP WANTED". Oh my, why am I asking help here?

So please, if you actually are interested in the project, let me know. Otherwise, have a nice day.

PS : To the staff members, moderating a forum isn't only to get on the majority side, it's about moderating a forum. They were actually more annoying than xmfuro ever was. All their comments were. Thanks...
ontheheap
ontheheap
hades5k, you have to realize that a lot of people come on this forum looking for a "team" because they have the next big idea for an MMORPG. They don't want to take the time to actually learn anything for themselves, instead they want to be in the center of a team telling others what to do. Personally, I would not want some with less technical knowledge than myself telling me what to do and how to do it.

An MMORPG is a massive ordeal, and I when my skill level reaches the point where I could contribute a good deal to a project such as this, I would make sure I was getting paid on at least an hourly basis + a percentage of any money made by the game.

There are probably others who disagree with me completely and would love to work on a new MMORPG, and I hope you find them. But I really don't think you'll find them here until you have something more concrete for people to look at.
OmniBrain
OmniBrain
Just to show you why most people don't think an indie MMORPG has a big chance. Even companies fail with this project:

check here

As I remember they were developing at least 2 years now and finally had to stop it because of technical problems.

Sure the people have learned some about it. If you only want to do it to learn, do on. If you really think you can make it, I wish you the best. But don't be sad about me not thinking you will do it.

-----The scheduled downtime is omitted cause of technical problems.
darookie
darookie
hades5k: Just to illustrate one of my points (I didn't mean to bash you, but your original post just looked like the average 12yr old game-programmer-wannabe stereotype) this
is a good Help Wanted post.

Just stating what you have to offer (ie. what's done, who you are looking for, what you want to achieve etc.) will help a lot.
The guy that started the mentioned thread didn't reveal any 'secrets' but clearly stated what he was looking for and why.

And as an excuse for sounding a little harsh (did I?) - I only replied after having a looking at your website. And you stated there that you don't have any game programming experience yet.

Best of luck with your project,
Pat.
hades5k
hades5k
Ok, my post wasnt "help-wanted-ideal-format-whatsoever"

1st) If the idea is bad, you CAN tell me, no need to abuse.
2nd) If you think this will fail, what it as to do with you?
Live and let live.
3rd) I WAS requesting help and a people to join. Thats what this forum is all about, I thought...

Please everyone, just cool down. If someone wants to join can he?
If you dont like the post, go to the next one, it's that simple.

Have all a nice day.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.