Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Game Programmer Testing

Started by Xetrov Sep 30, 2004 at 9:15 PM 4 replies 1.2k views
Original Post
Xetrov
Xetrov
I applied for a game programming job earlier this week, and they said that there were no positions for me... But they sent me a test via email anyway, and I completed it and returned it. I guess I did well, because they have invited me to come in to their offices for a 2.5 hour test next week... The studio in question develops primarily for consoles, but they have also had some PC game releases... So my question is what do you think this test might be like? I assume other people have sat similar tests in the past. I'm worried about whether I should learn some DirectX etc, though I hope the test is reasonably generic. Any suggestions as to what I should brush up on? 3D Math is top of my list, and I'm not worried about my C++ skills.
Ainokea
Ainokea
umm algorithems (sp?) and data structores common to game programming. IE. bsp trees, scengraphis etc... I dont really know however because I have never been in this position.
______________With the flesh of a cow.
Xetrov
Xetrov
Yep, good idea. I'm a bit rusty on some of that stuff.
superpig
superpig
The actual APIs and functions you call aren't as important as the underlying tasks being achieved; anyone with an API reference can find a way to do something provided they understand what it is they're doing. As such I wouldn't recommend brushing up your DirectX as much as your theory - DirectX is only used on one console and the PC anyway, so you probably won't find it supremely useful. (It'd be nicer if you could learn PS2 programming, but you probably can't get onto that until you've got the job there).

What's your field, anyway? Graphics programmer? Gameplay? AI?
Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.