Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Where to start??

Started by frankskye Oct 11, 2004 at 7:31 PM 2 replies 850+ views
Original Post
frankskye
frankskye
I have an idea and some written concepts. My problem is that I have no idea where to start in terms of putting together a demo package. Do I find a stranger to develop the program? Do I pay someone to do some of the graphics? Do I try an learn to do this stuff myself? Should I put together a team? what kind of money will they want? Once I have a demo, then what? I understand it’s hard to get in there with established companies. Who has advice?
Drakkcon
Drakkcon
I don't know, most people don't want to join a team of someone who hasn't had a successful project before, so you may just want to develop it yourself. Nobody really wants to form a team over just some written concepts and an idea, usually a full design document is needed (or an already complete demo). This is why freelance game designers don't do too well unless they have experience.

edit: However I did see a thread in Help Wanted asking for a designer/writer thingy, so I stand corrected.
baraka
baraka
i think that intially you really have to prove yourself with some works done by yourself. For example a simple RPG game using some downloaded sprites. I myself am new to this industry, and I'm planning to start working on a simple game. I'll try to do my own sprites then try to make a simple demo. Maybe, this can help you.
jbadams
jbadams
You'll probably want to make at least some small projects by yourself, or join some small teams, in order to get some experience and start building a portfolio. Modding existing games can sometimes be a good way to achieve this, as it can take out a lot of the work involved.
- Jason Astle-Adams

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.