Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Is the Nintendo DS using BREW?

Started by Whirlwind Oct 22, 2004 at 5:43 PM 6 replies 1.2k views
Original Post
Whirlwind
Whirlwind
I don't know if this is type casting or not, but does anyone know if the DS is BREW based? I am just guessing at this since the DS is using an ARM9 and ARM7 based processor. I probably am way off, but it is all I have to go on at the moment as I can't find any info on the DS developers kit.
Sneftel
Sneftel
Seems extremely unlikely. First of all, BREW is processor-independent. Of course, individual implementations are written for a particular processor, but the standard does not specify it. Secondly, it seems very VERY doubtful that the sort of environment that BREW is designed for (cellphones) would map onto the DS well. Finally, there's no reason for Nintendo to license QUALCOMM intellectual property if it doesn't have to. Since cellphone developers are unlikely to port games to the DS, there's nothing to be gained by a standard API.
OrangyTang
OrangyTang
Quote:
Original post by Whirlwind
I am just guessing at this since the DS is using an ARM9 and ARM7 based processor.

The GBA uses an ARM processor, which may be the reason why they stayed with them for the DS. It sounds like a fairly tenuous jump to assume they're using BREW from just that.
outRider
outRider
ARM processors and compatibles are the defacto-standard for low power usage embedded systems these days. Even Palms and PPCs use them.

Chances are that the DS hardware will be exposed (except the WiFi stuff), just like the GBA, with some common procs onboard a BIOS.
Whirlwind
Whirlwind
Thanks for the replies. I have been hitting a lot of walls when it comes to specs to target for a DS game. I have a few ideas, and it seems to be only "established" developers who will get a shot for makeing DS games. A good and bad decision for Nintendo as it does ensure a product will ship, but bad in regards to there are a lot of innovative and untapped sources of new ideas for a new handheld.

I figured BREW was just as good a shot in the dark as any other. All I can figure is that the game needs to fit in less that 128mb of space, limited to 260,000 colors and be designed for a 256x192 screen (I need to look up the first number again), and use save space on the card. I sure wish Nintendo would launch an IGN type contest for the DS just to encourage innovation and find new talent.
bobstevens
bobstevens
No BREW. You can consider me authoritative on the subject for reasons which may be obvious but I'd not care to discuss.
Whirlwind
Whirlwind
Thanks for the good sources. I guess I will just prototype the game using 3DGS using low poly models, etc. Maybe some pub will take an interest in the game.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.