Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

College-level coding competitions?

Started by uber_n00b Oct 23, 2004 at 1:55 PM 9 replies 2.3k views
Original Post
uber_n00b
uber_n00b
I figure this is as good a resource as any to ask if there are any competitions currently for college-age students. I'm a regular at topcoder.com and do so-so (about a 1200 score, better than most still not good) but I'm looking for something I can participate in through my university. I go to a public school that's not really into CS but they are really good about funding new organizations so does anyone know of any good ones? I know there's something called ACM but my region's competition is today so I guess I missed that one. Any link would be great.
My fellow Americans I have just signed legislation that outlaws Russia forever. Bombing will commence in five minutes.
capn_midnight
capn_midnight
ACM is just about the best way to start. Get a chapter chartered and get that going. Of course, it's ACM.org.

ACM has a lot of other benefits, and if you are committed enough to compete in programming contests, I think you will also want to take advantage of the other benefits as well.
uber_n00b
uber_n00b
Thank you for your reply. I am reading through the website now but I am concerned that it may be too late in the year to start a chapter up. Am I right in this assumption?
My fellow Americans I have just signed legislation that outlaws Russia forever. Bombing will commence in five minutes.
Programmer One
Programmer One
Quote:
Original post by uber_n00b
Thank you for your reply. I am reading through the website now but I am concerned that it may be too late in the year to start a chapter up. Am I right in this assumption?


Yes. You'll have to start it in the beginning of the next semister.
eleusive
eleusive
Well, almost any U.S. university with a decent C.S. program will already have an ACM chapter. Either way, regionals are coming up very soon, and most schools have most likely already had their preliminary competitions to see who they will send to compete, so you will probrably have to wait until next year.
"What are you trying to tell me? That I can write an O(N^2) recursive solution for a 2-dimensional knapsack?" "No, programmer. I'm trying to tell you that when you're ready, you won't have to." -Adapted from "The Matrix"
Boku San
Boku San
On an unrelated note...

capn_midnight, I don't like your avatar. You should've gone with the Zorro, because Zorro is a p.i.m.p.

*goes to ACM.org*
*seppukku*
Things change.
mnansgar
mnansgar
Ironically, the ACM programming competition is being administered through TopCoder's interface this year, so expect similar questions.
h20, member of WFG 0 A.D.
KevinG
KevinG
Dude, I just got back from a campus coding competition. Won third place...looked like I was going to win first in the beginning, but I choked and two others caught up...the second place guy beat me in the last five minutes :(...

But, yeah, ACM...I'm going to a state meet on November 4th, heh.
I cant think of a decent signature right now...try back later...MUCH later.
uber_n00b
uber_n00b
I just found out that my University founded a chapter over 30 years ago :). Unfortunately, it seems to be little more than a few workshops. They made no mention of regionals on their site which is a real shame.
My fellow Americans I have just signed legislation that outlaws Russia forever. Bombing will commence in five minutes.
eleusive
eleusive
Quote:
Original post by mnansgar
Ironically, the ACM programming competition is being administered through TopCoder's interface this year, so expect similar questions.


What region do you live in? My ACM region is using PC^2, just like every year for the past...forever.
"What are you trying to tell me? That I can write an O(N^2) recursive solution for a 2-dimensional knapsack?" "No, programmer. I'm trying to tell you that when you're ready, you won't have to." -Adapted from "The Matrix"
capn_midnight
capn_midnight
yeah, we're using PC^2 this year. Our warmup for the regionals is coming up this week (wednesday).

As for the avatar, it's me.

As for the ACM chapter, if you have lost the charter, get the paperwork started now. It will be so much easier to get the paperwork done now and then submit it later.

All I can suggest is to start a local club for programming team, and worry about registration later. You really need to get people together and start practicing together. What you will find is that you want a coder, a mathematician, and a manager on each team, basically (since 3 is the max). The mathematician will solve the problems, the coder will implement them, and the manager will make sure the coder and mathematician don't obsess over stupid problems, keeping an eye on the clock.

There are a number of different programming contests over the course of the year, so don't think that missing this semester means you have to wait until next year. Get together with your professors as well (someone has to be the coach, and it's not going to be a student). Your university probably requires that ever club have a faculty sponsor or two anyway. They can also help you contact other schools to see if they are running any contests.

You could also run an invitational contest. After you have been to a few and get an idea of how they are ran, you can hold your own (probably next year) and invite other universities in your area to come.

Oh, and grad students can't compete, usually (it's very rare to allow them to compete). It's just da rules.

Incidentally, I'm currently the VP of our programming team, and President of the ACM chapter.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.