Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

GDNet London: Grand Night Out

Started by superpig Oct 31, 2004 at 6:33 PM 43 replies 7.1k views
Original Post
superpig
superpig
Right. Less than a week until this happens (and it will happen, I promise you), so I'd better post about what's going to happen. The GDNet London Grand Night Out will happen on the 6th of November (that's this Saturday), from about 2:00pm till whenever everyone gets fed up and goes home. So it's more of an Afternoon than a Night, but hey. Because I'm a downright lazy bugger, I've not gone and booked anything or done much in the way of research. However, that means we'll be totally free to do whatever takes our fancy - if we're content just going from pub to pub, we can do that. So it's alright in the end. From about 2:00pm till (probably) 2:30pm, I will be standing at Marylebone station's upper level (i.e. near the exit to the street) wearing a silly hat. It is round. It is shiny. It is covered in glitter. I will feel like a right arse wearing it. If I feel like too much of an arse, I may well take it off and hold it instead. I'll get a photo of the hat, and of myself, and of myself wearing the hat, sometime in the next few days. So you shouldn't have much trouble finding me. (NEW! Photos: clicky) If you're not convinced, or if you don't think you'll be turning up in the 2:00-2:30 window, PM me and we can sort something out, probably involving an exchange of mobile numbers. (If you want to meet up earlier, great). Bring money. I'll be bringing details of places like Quasar and the pubs people suggested in case we all feel spontaneously proactive. I'll also try and bring a camera, though if other people have ones they could bring as well, so much the better. As this is an event largely based around pubs and the consumption of alchohol within them, I'm afraid it should be considered no under-18s. Technically if you're under 18 I guess you *could* come, but sitting in the corner sipping a coke while the rest of us are making merry really won't be much fun for you. Questions, comments, feedback, you know where the reply button is. [Edited by - superpig on November 4, 2004 5:45:45 PM]
Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse
C-Junkie
C-Junkie
Quote:
Original post by superpig
based around pubs and the consumption of alchohol within them, I'm afraid it should be considered no under-18s.
You're just gloating at us american 18-20 people...

...

STFUB!
xanin
xanin
Quote:
Original post by C-Junkie
Quote:
Original post by superpig
based around pubs and the consumption of alchohol within them, I'm afraid it should be considered no under-18s.
You're just gloating at us american 18-20 people...

...

STFUB!


its nice to be 21 :-)
Sandman
Sandman
Due to previously unforseen circumstances, I may not be able to make it.

If there's any way I swing it, I'll be there though, although it's unlikely I'll make the 2.00-2.30 meetup window. I've still got your number though, so I can phone you and find out where you are.
superpig
superpig
Quote:
Original post by Sandman
If there's any way I swing it, I'll be there though, although it's unlikely I'll make the 2.00-2.30 meetup window. I've still got your number though, so I can phone you and find out where you are.
Right - that's the kind of seperate arrangement I had in mind. Hope you can make it.

So this has been here a few hours and has garnered very few replies... should I take that as an indication that people don't have any problems and plan on turning up, or as an indication that everyone's lost interest?
Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse
benryves
benryves
I guess I won't come, as it involves people. Sorry!
[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]
superpig
superpig
Quote:
Original post by benryves
I guess I won't come, as it involves people. Sorry!
Oh, don't worry. I'm sure that if you sit in the corner with a pint and growl at anyone who comes near, people'll leave you alone with your beer.
Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse
benryves
benryves
Quote:
Original post by superpig
Quote:
Original post by benryves
I guess I won't come, as it involves people. Sorry!
Oh, don't worry. I'm sure that if you sit in the corner with a pint and growl at anyone who comes near, people'll leave you alone with your beer.


I don't drink beer...

Quote:
...but sitting in the corner sipping a coke Strongbow while the rest of us are making merry really won't be much fun for you.


My point exactly. Plus, I have lectures on Saturday anyway. Gah.
[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]
reiko
reiko
Look! I'm posting on the forums! How unusual!

I'll be there... I've been keeping my very busy schedule clear for this for weeks now!
iamwithstupid
iamwithstupid
I might be coming. I am not sure at the moment, and I just re-installed my computer, and I have forgotten my AIM username, so can't discuss it with you.
iNsAn1tY
iNsAn1tY
Quote:
Original post by benryves
My point exactly. Plus, I have lectures on Saturday anyway. Gah.

Seriously?

Anyway, count me in. Time's booked off work, and I'm off to book my train tickets and a hotel...
My opinion is a recombination and regurgitation of the opinions of those around me. I bring nothing new to the table, and as such, can be safely ignored.[ Useful things - Firefox | GLee | Boost | DevIL ]
benryves
benryves
Quote:
Original post by iNsAn1tY
Quote:
Original post by benryves
My point exactly. Plus, I have lectures on Saturday anyway. Gah.

Seriously?

Oh yes. Maths, Digital Electronics and Foundations of Computer Science, to be exact. Fun fun fun!
[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]
markr
markr
I should be able to make it - 2pm at Marylebone station (I don't know where it is but I can find it).

Just a short 1-2 hour bus ride from Oxford

Mark
superpig
superpig
Quote:
Original post by markr
Just a short 1-2 hour bus ride from Oxford
You're coming down from Oxford? If you get the train (like I will be, from Bicester) the line terminates at Marylebone. Faster than the bus, too.
Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse
Acapulco
Acapulco
I'll be coming down, though I might be worse for wear - I'm going to see Jazzy Jeff the night before, and I'll be out until the wee hours. If I fall asleep in the corner of a pub, wake me up or something! Don't leave me behind.
[sub]Now I'm radioactive! That can't be good![/sub]
_the_phantom_
_the_phantom_
theres a reasonable chance I'll be down, there is a local alternative night the night before however (runs until 3am), but in theory if I get up around midday I could at least be in london by 2pm... granted at a different station (Liverpool street) but close enuff, heh
sanguineraven
sanguineraven
I may be turning up. I was supposed to be going home from Saturday to Sunday, but I'll see if I can stay in London for a couple of hours.
Mephs
Mephs
Just to throw in my 2 cents (or pence being as we're in the UK!) I'd REALLY love to go to this, but unfortunately London is a little out of my way. If there is ever a repeat anywhere in short range of Nottingham though I'd definitely be up for it, so I'll keep an eye out for it just in case!

Thanks,

Steve
andy-pandy
andy-pandy
I was close to coming down for this, but work/university is a bit too much at the moment.

Have fun guys.


PS: We need a Gamedev night out in Edinburgh.
grekster
grekster
Quote:
Original post by andy-pandy
I was close to coming down for this, but work/university is a bit too much at the moment.

Have fun guys.


PS: We need a Gamedev night out in Edinburgh.


Or Newcastle (hint hint ;) )
Quote: Original post by BosskIn Soviet Russia, you STFU WITH THOSE LAME JOKES!

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.