Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Current survey

Started by Jolle Nov 30, 2004 at 12:06 PM 25 replies 2.7k views
Original Post
Jolle
Jolle
"What's your compiler's fontface?" For most compilers this doesn't make any sense. Maybe "What's the fontface of your IDE or text editor?" would be better.
coldacid
coldacid
Perhaps that may be what the question means. Some of us aren't as nitpicky about such things as others (I'm in with the nitpickers though).
Lundek
Lundek
Courier New.
BiGF00T
BiGF00T
Courier New
Now get down n your hands and knees and start repeating "Open Source Good, M$ Evil", smacking your head against the pavement after each repetition. nce you have completed your training you may change your first name to GNU/, to show that you are free from the slavery of the closed source world. -Michalson oO
coldacid
coldacid
Lucida Console, 10pt.
superpig
superpig
Lucida Console. And I agree, the poll question should be edited a little to be correct.
Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse
Zul
Zul
Default, which happens to be courier new.
oh hai
Ra
Ra
Fixedsys
Ra
kSquared
kSquared
I use ProggySquare, ProggyClean, and ProggyTiny. Courier New is for conformist weenies. Real Programmers use ProggySquare. Great Programmers use ProggyTiny and get laser-eye surgery just so they can read their code.

But seriously, the big draws for me are:

--> semicolon and colons are clearly distinguishable;
--> curly brackets are markedly different from straight brackets;
--> angle brackets are markedly different from parentheses;
--> the asterisk '*' is vertically centered rather than being near the top of the line;
--> readable even at small sizes;
--> zero is clearly distinguishable from capital O;
--> exclamation points are distinguishable from capital I and bar '|' characters;
--> adjacent single quotes are distinguishable from a single double quote;
--> lowercase L is impossible to confuse with lowercase I, 1, or bar '|' characters.

Give it a try. It's free, so it can't hurt to fire up your favorite IDE with it. Available in bitmap, TT, and pcf. Happy coding.
- k2 "Choose a job you love, and you'll never have to work a day in your life." — Confucius"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will get you everywhere." — Albert Einstein"Money is the most egalitarian force in society. It confers power on whoever holds it." — Roger Starr{General Programming Forum FAQ<
red_sodium
red_sodium
Maybe I'm not one to talk, but surely this is a little too trivial to be given a thread?

And kSquared, do you know you spent 1/2millionth of your life typing that out (assuming it took 5 minutes)!?
"Learn as though you would never be able to master it,
hold it as though you would be in fear of losing it" - Confucius
Zul
Zul
Quote:
Original post by kSquared
I use ProggySquare, ProggyClean, and ProggyTiny. Courier New is for conformist weenies. Real Programmers use ProggySquare. Great Programmers use ProggyTiny and get laser-eye surgery just so they can read their code.



No no no, you've got it all wrong. Courier New is for lazy weenies who don't care enough to change the default font. There, glad we cleared that up.

/is a non-conformist lazy weenie
oh hai
Zul
Zul
Quote:
Original post by red_sodium
Maybe I'm not one to talk, but surely this is a little too trivial to be given a thread?

And kSquared, do you know you spent 1/2millionth of your life typing that out (assuming it took 5 minutes)!?


Damn, 5 minutes is 1/2 millionth of our lives? Holy crap we've got alot of time on our hands.
oh hai
kSquared
kSquared
Quote:
And kSquared, do you know you spent 1/2millionth of your life typing that out (assuming it took 5 minutes)!?

Aren't you being a bit presumptuous by assuming I'm only going to live 19.01 years? By your calculations, it's only another 10 months till I kick the bucket! ;)
- k2 "Choose a job you love, and you'll never have to work a day in your life." — Confucius"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will get you everywhere." — Albert Einstein"Money is the most egalitarian force in society. It confers power on whoever holds it." — Roger Starr{General Programming Forum FAQ<
Zul
Zul
Quote:
Original post by kSquared
Quote:
And kSquared, do you know you spent 1/2millionth of your life typing that out (assuming it took 5 minutes)!?

Aren't you being a bit presumptuous by assuming I'm only going to live 19.01 years? By your calculations, it's only another 10 months till I kick the bucket! ;)


Well, isn't the average life span around 77 years nowadays? That's about 40 million minutes. However, most people agree that sleeping wastes approximately 1/3 of our lives. That would put you right around 26 million minutes or so. Either way, his approximation was a little low.
oh hai
Fruny
Fruny
Bitstream Vera Sans Mono 8 pts
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
lethalhamster
lethalhamster
Last time I opened my IDE/Compiler to program was so long ago I don't even know... [sad]I use BloodShed's C++ IDE/Compiler, whatever the default is on that is my fontface [smile]
............Could Jesus microwave a burrito so hot that he himself could not eat it?
Mercury
Mercury
I think I'm the only one that likes the visual c++ 6 font more than the new one's font; Courier r0x your s0x. It's actually not that I dislike Courier New, it's just that the space between lines is enormous compared to the original. I'm only running at 1024x768, and personally can't stand it, ah well. To each his own. [smile]

And I think you're looking for IDE here instead of compiler, but it's been said already, whatever, we all understood you.

EDIT: After checking out the Proggy fonts kSquared posted, I have to say those are pretty damn good, I've switched it for now, we'll see if it stands the test of time. I'm using ProggyClean, FWIW.

- Jordan
Martee
Martee
Quote:
Original post by superpig
Lucida Console
ReactOS - an Open-source operating system compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers
mutex
mutex
OCR A Extended 9



All characters are easy to tell apart from similar characters. I got hooked after someone recommended it to me, although it doesn't work well with UI since it's fixed width.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.