Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked 🤖 Godot

Whats the neardiest thing you've ever done?

Started by Liam M Dec 13, 2004 at 6:43 AM 145 replies 22k views
Original Post
Liam M
Liam M
ok, iv often wondered if im alone, in this world, an i truly the embodiment of a nerd? so, listen up people; post here the most neardy things you have ever done, il start the ball rolling: *When i got half-life one, i played for 3 days strait, only stopping for water, food, and to relieve myself. when i stopped (finished the game on hardest btw), i couldnt sleep for an additional day, when i closed my eyes, all i saw was a weapon running around killing people (i was nine at the time). * 2 months ago ( i think), i got out my pentium 166, overclocked it to 220 mhz, added a stock cooling fan from an athlon, and tried gaming on it (with a sexy 4 mb graphics card BTW). i later sold it for $60. *i have a friend (who now works at EA), who played waaaaaay to much doom II, and one day veered off the road towards a red ball, thinking it was a powerup. Any contenders?
aidan_walsh
aidan_walsh
The second one aside, I don't think they make you nerdy as much as troubled...
www.aidanwalsh(.net)(.info)
Cypher19
Cypher19
I guess the nerdiest thing I can come up with is getting up really early for HL2's release and playing the game in one sitting. Jeez was my mind disoriented after the ~15 hours of play...my state of my mind was fading in and out of reality/HL2 reality or something.


It was awesome :-D
Cibressus
Cibressus
one time i posted on gamedev.net
danbrown
danbrown
At university, I used to wake up late for class but think "I'll just reload later and get there in time" and go back to sleep. My flatmate apparently did the same thing.

I also woke up once very hung-over and found we had built a working intercom system out of a dismantled hifi and linked up 3 of the rooms in our halls of residence to it. We never found out where the hifi came from.
Dan
boolean
boolean
Time for the most obvious pun:

I JOINED GAMEDEV.NET! HA HA HA HA!!!11onehundredandelevnthousand

boolean
boolean
Actually, quite a few times when I have stuffed something up, just for a moment, just for a teeny moment in time, I have thought 'shit, I'll have to use undo for that', and then realise that I’m an idiot.

Oh, and I tried to hit someone with a mouse cursor who was standing near my monitor when they took my coke. I don't know why, but I just assumed that it would leap out of the monitor and hit him......it made sense at the time....
jbadams
jbadams
I got my copy of Halo2 at midnight when it was released, and finished it in one sitting. Two days later, myself and a friend clocked co-op on legendary mode in 21 hours straight of gameplay (only stopping for toilet, we had drinks/snacks with us). After that, I kinda passed out, and had Halo dreams. [lol]

I've also tried to hit someone with the mouse cursor, so you aren't alone Boolean.

Playing D&D seems to be a nerd stereotype. Especially since in conversation I sometimes refer to "failing a [whatever] check."
- Jason Astle-Adams
Daaark
Daaark
I once introduced myself as 'Dark'... [help][looksaround][embarrass]

Perfunction
Perfunction
i used to skip class to play Diablo 2
occasionally i blow off family/gf/friends to stay home and program
stayed up all night to buy a new hard drive on black friday
actually said el-oh-el or dubya-tee-ef

all i can think of so far...
The Rug
The Rug
I was seriously into Halo 2. I even made my friend a masterchiefmas card. On the night of its release, I queued up at midnight with my friend (who was buying it, since he has the X-Box). We approached the shop, it seemed all dark like it was closed- then a guy came up to the door, opened it slightly and whispered "Halo 2 pre-orders?". We were then quickly ushered inside where it was like some secret geek club; the air was thick with anticipation (and sweat). We bought the game, took it home, and played it until 5 pm the next day, at which point my friend had to go to work.

Another time I played Counterstrike on LAN with my mates all night (with the aid of some foul tasting energy drinks), to the point where I was hallucinating in the morning... every time I started to fall asleep I'd hear "fire in the hole!" and suddenly wake up.

I played Max Payne for 2 days straight (it was the best £35 pounds I had ever spent) and ended up trying to quicksave during friends.

Finally, there used to be a shop near by called Kwik Save which made me burst out laughing whenever I saw the sign.


edit: thought I may as well point out that I traced the grunt outline off a pic drawn by someone else. Not trying to pass their work off as my own or anything [grin]
the rug - funpowered.com
boolean
boolean
Quote:
Original post by Kazgoroth
I've also tried to hit someone with the mouse cursor, so you aren't alone Boolean.


[lol] And at the time, it just seems so right! Like there is no reason it should not work!
The Rug
The Rug
Quote:
Original post by Perfunction
occasionally i blow off family/gf/friends to stay home and program
actually said el-oh-el or dubya-tee-ef


I do those, except I don't have a gf [cry]
the rug - funpowered.com
Wan
Wan
Quote:
Original post by The Rug
Quote:
Original post by Perfunction
occasionally i blow off family/gf/friends to stay home and program
actually said el-oh-el or dubya-tee-ef


I do those, except I don't have a gf [cry]


I do those, except I don't have a gf or friends [cry++]
I Like Bread
I Like Bread
I once installed an open-source program on my computar.
______Numbermind StudiosCurrently in hibernation.
Perfunction
Perfunction
Quote:
Original post by PnP Bios
Tried to do tabbed browsing while watching TV.
i dont even own a TV...i guess i should have included that in my list
shmoove
shmoove
I like zombies.

shmoove
The Rug
The Rug
I was in such a hurry once I ironed my shirt while I was wearing it, which burned my nipples pretty badly. Although that might fall under the "stupid" category rather than the "nerd" one.
the rug - funpowered.com

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.