Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Version control

Started by LNK2001 Dec 15, 2004 at 9:45 AM 12 replies 2.7k views
Original Post
LNK2001
LNK2001
Does anyone know of a free version control system that (1) Doesn't suck, and (2) Is not CVS, and (3) Communicates through TCP/IP ?
"-1 x -1 = +1 is stupid and evil."-- Gene Ray
darookie
darookie
SubVersion perhaps?
And what is a version control system that 'doesn't suck' to you?
LNK2001
LNK2001
Quote:
Original post by darookie
SubVersion perhaps?

Thanks, I'll take a look.
Quote:
And what is a version control system that 'doesn't suck' to you?

One that allows you to checkout a file exclusively (like VSS) and prevents conflicts to occur instead of trying to resolve them later (like CVS). And doesn't take ages to configure. Sorry, I was a bit vague.
"-1 x -1 = +1 is stupid and evil."-- Gene Ray
evolutional
evolutional
If you're on Windows, you could try IonForge's Evolution. For 2 users it's free to use, for more there was a deal announced between GameDev and IonForge on the news page a couple of months ago wherein they will give cut price licenses for $50 instead of $500. It's got more than just version control, it's about asset control and project management. I used it for a while when I was on Windows and found ti to be excellent.
DrEvil
DrEvil
I used Alienbrain in school. It's one of those that you have to check out a file, and when it's checked out nobody else can modify anything until you check it back in. This is terrible for productivity. I now use Tortoise SVN (subversion) and by default anyone can change all files, and so far the merging has not been a problem. If there are lines that multiple people change you of course need to resolve the conflicts. Subversion does have the ability to switch it to the other mode where checked out files are locked, though it doesnt default to on.
darookie
darookie
Quote:
Original post by LNK2001
One that allows you to checkout a file exclusively (like VSS) and prevents conflicts to occur instead of trying to resolve them later (like CVS). And doesn't take ages to configure. Sorry, I was a bit vague.

[edit]
In that case subversion isn't for you I'm afraid. Subversion will not lock files and use the same copy-merge approach as CVS.
[/edit]
Thanks DrEvil - I didn't know svn could switch the mode [smile]

antareus
antareus
I'm not sure it can, its listed as a feature for SVN 1.2.

Exclusive checkouts are a huge pain. If something needs to get done, said developer will just remove the read-only flag on their local copy and then manually merge the remote changes in. SVN's addition of this as a 'feature' and not a requirement is fine with me though.
--God has paid us the intolerable compliment of loving us, in the deepest, most tragic, most inexorable sense.- C.S. Lewis
markr
markr
Obviously non-exclusive editing is fine for code and text data files - in fact it's essential if you have something like a language-pack file which needs constant revisions by several developers.

BUT where it suffers a bit is for binary files. These are typically images (but could be models, sounds etc). Apparently Alienbrain is good for that.

I use Subversion, we're developing web applications. We have no major problems with it. The only other one I've used significantly is MS VSS, which is terrible. Specifically, it is the only version control system which I've seen LOSE source code.

I'd say, evaluate a few, decide what features you want. Have a go with a small unimportant project (like a tool or something)

Mark
lucinpub
lucinpub
One more benefit about Evolution too. I am one of the developers and frequent these boards every few days, so you can get questions answered directly. By default it is an exclusive locking system, but you can get a shared lock by clicking a checkbox when you check something out. It also supports secure communication over TCP/IP out of the box.
Lucas Henekswww.ionforge.com

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.