Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Hardware Help

Started by dirkduck Dec 22, 2004 at 3:07 PM 3 replies 1.2k views
Original Post
dirkduck
dirkduck
Hey eveyone. Recently my computer, a Dell Inspiron 8100 with a Mobility Radeon 7500 card, WinXP Home (SP1, downloading SP2 now) started displaying the screen incorrectly. I can't really explain how it looks, so I took a screenshot: Anyways, about 2 weeks ago when it started, it only did it once or twice, and if I shutdown and restarted the computer, it would be back to normal. Now it happenes almost every time I start the computer. I can't update my video drivers anymore, as ATI makes you download drivers only from the supplier (Dell), and Dell stopped updating for the 8100 in about 2002. Any ideas on whether it is the monitor or video card (or something else), and what I can do to fix it? Thanks.
http://www.labino.net
mutex
mutex
Try rebooting into Safe Mode and setting it back to a safe resolution like 640x480. I think you press F8 while the computer is booting up, before the screen with the Windows logo and the scrollbar.

After that... I'm not sure what you could do, sorry.

grekster
grekster
Maybe its overheating?

Anything you can remember doing just before it started? Installed a new bit of software or something?
Quote: Original post by BosskIn Soviet Russia, you STFU WITH THOSE LAME JOKES!
Yohan
Yohan
If you want to use the latest, greatest ATI Catalyst drivers on yours or any laptop with a ATI Mobility Radeon chipset, check out this link for instructions:

http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25127

Many of you might find this link helpful, as us lappy users usually get video drivers 3-6 months after desktop users. :(
dirkduck
dirkduck
Thanks for the help everyone. I tried your suggestions, downloaded the lastest drivers (I got the "Omega" drivers), but I'm still having the same problem. Any other thoughs?
http://www.labino.net

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.