Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Winamp contest over! Let the judging begin...

Started by llvllatrix Jan 10, 2005 at 6:56 PM 16 replies 8.3k views
Original Post
llvllatrix
llvllatrix
Hey Guys, On Dec 16th, 2004 we started an OpenGL programming contest on the NeHe forum (http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=288889). The challenge was to program your best OpenGL plugin for Winamp. Its been about a month and the contest is officially over! We are currently judging the entries and would like your help. Winners will be announced on Friday, January 14th, 2005. You can find details on the contest, as well as the contest entries at: http://www.eng.uwaterloo.ca/~rramraj/Gamedev/winamp_contest/winamp.htm To install the plugins, simply copy the contents of the bin directory, found in the downloaded zip file, into your local plugins directory, found where you installed winamp. Refer to the readme included in the zip file for detailed info. You can find the the winamp basecode to be used in the contest at: http://www.eng.uwaterloo.ca/~rramraj/Gamedev/winamp_gl.zip You can find some general judging info as well as some general contest documentation at: http://www.eng.uwaterloo.ca/~rramraj/Gamedev/Management.htm esolem/tgraupmann have also suggested the following criteria:
Quote:
What about the following categories: Best Graphics: (1 to 5) Most Innovative: (1 to 5) Most Complete: (1 to 5) Most Festive: (1 to 5) - The theme Overall: (1 to 5) A modified version of the GDC categories that tgraupmann posted last week.
Thx for your help guys :) Here are some ideas for future contests: http://www.eng.uwaterloo.ca/~rramraj/Gamedev/Themes.htm Cheers, -llvllatrix
Custard Slice
Custard Slice
Hi all. Here are my views on the entries. Its quite tough to choose an order (especially as I'm one of the competitors so aren't exactly impartial [smile]).

I've rated each in turn and given a small comment on why I gave the given ratings. At the end, I've ranked them in my overall order.

Congratulations to all. I'm impressed with the overall quality of this contest. Hopefully next time we'll have more entries...


A Festive Plugin by Endre Solem:
A nice plugin overall. Loved the dancing "bombs" [smile]
Graphics: 3
Innovative: 3
Completeness: 3
Festive Theme: 3
Overall: 3

Spectrum Heightfield by Gavin Murrison
Loved the cloth effect, but nothing to do with the theme.
Graphics: 3
Innovative: 3
Completeness: 3
Festive Theme: 1
Overall: 3

Merry Christmas NeHe by Rick Wong
Simple but good looking plugin. The NeHe/Winamp logo didn't animate on all tracks though (I thought it might be the basecode but everyone elses plugins worked on the same tracks - weird)
Graphics: 4
Innovative: 2
Completeness: 3
Festive Theme: 3
Overall: 3

Merry Xmas by Marco Weber
Nice cartoony Christmas feel, and I liked the shadows (now that they run well on my machine [smile])
Graphics: 4
Innovative: 4
Completeness: 3
Festive Theme: 4
Overall: 4

Metaball Visualization by Bourricot
Metaballs are always cool, if not exactly new. Very polished demo (gave it a 5 for completeness as fullscreen and its config worked)
Graphics: 4
Innovative: 2
Completeness: 5
Festive Theme: 2
Overall: 4

Reindeers Flight by James Ferry
Nice animation and music response. I'd have liked the aurora to be more obvious though. (gave it a 4 for completeness as its config worked)
Graphics: 4
Innovative: 4
Completeness: 3
Festive Theme: 4
Overall: 4

Snow Globe by Michael Wallace
5's for all!!!
Just joking, this is my entry so I can't judge it impartially [smile]

Graphics:
Innovative:
Completeness:
Festive Theme:
Overall:

The Eternal Pool by Shawn Silsbee
Nice bumpmapping and I really liked the spectrum fountain. Just a bit too "industrial" for Christmas [smile]
Graphics: 4
Innovative: 4
Completeness: 3
Festive Theme: 1
Overall: 3

Winamp GL by Tim Graupmann
Not anything too wrong with this plugin. I just liked the others better. It was a bit too spikey for me.
Graphics: 2
Innovative: 2
Completeness: 3
Festive Theme: 1
Overall: 2

Overall I rank them as follows (ignoring mine):
1: Reindeers Flight by James Ferry
2: Merry Xmas by Marco Weber
3: Metaball Visualization by Bourricot
4: The Eternal Pool by Shawn Silsbee
5: Merry Christmas NeHe by Rick Wong
6: A Festive Plugin by Endre Solem
7: Spectrum Heightfield by Gavin Murrison
8: Winamp GL by Tim Graupmann

???: Snow Globe by Michael Wallace
Alexander Wendler
Alexander Wendler
Hi all.

I have just downloaded and tried all plugins. Here are my ratings
(The first number is the total score, the next 5 numbers are for Best Graphics/ Most Innovative / Most Complete / Most Festive / My subjective impression):

24 5/4/5/5/5 Snow Globe by Michael Wallace
21,7 5/4/2,7/5/5 Merry Xmas by Marco Weber
19,5 5/3/4,5/2/5 Metaball Visualization by Bourricot
19,2 5/5/3,2/2/4 The Eternal Pool by Shawn Silsbee
18,2 3/4/3,2/4/4 Reindeers Flight by James Ferry
18 3/3/3/5/4 A Festive Plugin by Endre Solem
14 3/2/3/3/3 Merry Christmas NeHe by Rick Wong
13 2/2/3/2/4 Spectrum Heightfield by Gavin Murrison
12 2/2/3/2/3 Winamp GL by Tim Graupmann

Let me congratulate each of you. I’m wondering about the quality of the entries and see the efforts you have put in each entry. Unfortunately not everyone can win...

[Edited by - Alexander Wendler on January 11, 2005 5:45:04 AM]
llvllatrix
llvllatrix
Just to clarify, all you really need to post is which plugin you like the best :) No need to be as detailed as Custard Slice or Alexander Wendler but thx for your time guys :)

Cheers,
- llvllatrix
FluxCapacitor
FluxCapacitor
I posted it in the other thread, but I'll post again here: My favorite is "Snow Globe" by Michael Wallace, and my second favorite is "Merry X-Mas" by Marco Weber.
Bourricot
Bourricot
"Snow Globe" by Michael Wallace
vanbirk
vanbirk
My ranking:
1st Michael Wallace "Snow Globe"
2nd James Ferry "Reindeers Flight"
Visit my website now, at http://www.vanbirk.de !
llvllatrix
llvllatrix
On friday, I will announce the winners at 6:00 PM EST.

Stay tuned,
- llvllatrix
Gavin Murrison
Gavin Murrison
Here is my ranking and scores:

Snow Globe by Michael Wallace: 5/5/5/5/5 = 25
Merry Xmas by Marco Weber: 5/5/3/5/4 = 22
Reindeers Flight by James Ferry: 4/5/4/5/4 = 22
Metaball Visualization by Bourricot: 5/3/5/1/4 = 18
The Eternal Pool by Shawn Silsbee: 4/4/3/1/4 = 16
A Festive Plugin by Endre Solem: 3/2/3/5/3 = 16
Merry Christmas NeHe by Rick Wong: 3/2/3/3/2 = 13
Winamp GL by Tim Graupmann: 1/2/3/1/2 = 9

For those entries with the same final score I used my gut-feeling to decide which one to place first, i.e. the order of same-score entries counts.
esolem
esolem
Hello all, and thanks for a great competition.

I have now tried all but one plugin. Due to my poor graphics card I have not been able to run Ethernal pool. It looks good, but not very festiv, so I don't think I would have placed it in firstplace anyway, sorry...

Snow Globe by Michael Wallace get my vote for first place.

Also I have learn one very important thing: If you use a pool laptop for development, atleast check what your orks look like on a ordenary computer before you submit it. I must say that my plugin looked much better on my work laptop that on my home computer. Good to know until next time.

Endre


Hans Orff
Hans Orff
Just because I like the effect, I'm going to vote Gavin Murrison for first place. A close second behind him would have to be Mike, though.
llvllatrix
llvllatrix
Ladies and Gentlemen,

The votes are in, and the winners are...drum roll please...

1st Place: Snow Globe by Michael Wallace
2nd Place: Merry Xmas by Marco Weber
3rd Place: Reindeers Flight by James Ferry

Congrats to all who participated. It was an awesome contest :D I'll be contacting the winners by email to determine which prizes are awarded.

Cheers,
- llvllatrix
Custard Slice
Custard Slice
Woohoo!

Thanks for all the votes everyone. I really put a lot of work into making my plugin as polished as possible. I'm glad that all the effort paid off.

I've chosen the 1GB USB key as my prize as I already own a FX 5900.

To the other winners, congratulations. I hope you enjoy your prizes [smile].

To everyone else, very well done. I really liked all the plugins and I hope you learned a lot in the process (I know I did). Hopefully next time we can have even more entrants.

To llvllatrix, big thanks for organising the contest, prizes, and coding up the basecode. This contest's success was all up to you. Well done!

- Michael Wallace
FluxCapacitor
FluxCapacitor
Congrats to the winners - you deserve it!

I had a lot of fun and am definitely looking forward to the next contest. :)
vanbirk
vanbirk
Quote:
Original post by Custard Slice
...
I've chosen the 1GB USB key as my prize as I already own a FX 5900.

To the other winners, congratulations. I hope you enjoy your prizes [smile].

- Michael Wallace


I certainly will enjoy my prize [smile] ( I've chosen the FX 5500 ).
Thanks for the votes and the contest!

- Marco Weber
Visit my website now, at http://www.vanbirk.de !
Dredge-Master
Dredge-Master
and I get the invite to Gmail, google's email service. Gmail provides 1
gig of mail. The service is still in beta so you need an invite to get
access. Here's more info:

http://gmail.google.com/gmail/help/about.html
Beer - the love catalystgood ol' homepage

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.