Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Smooth update "skipping"

Started by nzo Jan 11, 2005 at 8:11 AM 1 replies 2k views
Original Post
nzo
nzo
I sometimes see the usual smooth update "skip" or "judder" for no apparent reason. There could be less rendering / processing going on and still it happens. I am using flip and wait for vblank and the framerate dips to 40 or so, then returns to 60. Is it a good idea to grab all the available cpu etc to the program?
Sly
Sly
My game update loop usually looks something like this

procedure TForm1.ApplicationIdle(Sender: TObject; var Done: Boolean);begin  Done := False;  Update();  Render();end;


Note that I do nto use a timer. No commercial games use a timer for their main loop. They all basically do what I described above (with possibly some more code for maintaining a capped framerate or performing updates at a constant rate while allowing more draws, etc).
nzo
nzo
I`ve been looking around, but do you have a simple example of the capping?

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.