Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Selling conole games online?

Started by sujokid Jan 15, 2005 at 9:35 AM 5 replies 2k views
Original Post
sujokid
sujokid
Hi, I'm trying to collect information about how I can become legally allowed to sell xbox/ps2 games online. I have access to a domain and a webhost. I have knowledge of php which I can use to code the site. I'm just stuck on how to get this "video game license". And what other ways are there to get new games other then ebay? How do stores get them? Eventually after this hits off, If it ever does, I want to expand it into a personal video game selling. (Like private individuals selling there pc games on there) I'm not quite sure if this is the place to post this, but it said business so I posted here...hehe Thanks
Obscure
Obscure
You don't need a "video game license" to sell console games. You just buy them from from a distributor and then sell them on. As an online shop you obviously have slightly different issues than a normal retailer, such as online order processing, secure transactions and which delivery service to use. Other than that it is much the same as setting up a shop. You need money to set up/host the site, money to buy stock, money to advertise your business and enough money to live until the business starts to make a profit.
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
FridgeRaider
FridgeRaider
i think that something like ebay where indie developers could sell their products would be awesome, hopes this works and keep us informed!!!
bit64
bit64
Quote:
You don't need a "video game license" to sell console games. You just buy them from from a distributor and then sell them on. As an online shop you obviously have slightly different issues than a normal retailer, such as online order processing, secure transactions and which delivery service to use. Other than that it is much the same as setting up a shop. You need money to set up/host the site, money to buy stock, money to advertise your business and enough money to live until the business starts to make a profit


I think he means that he wants to actually publish games for these consoles and distribute them online. Am I correct? If this is the case then you will need to make a deal with MS, Sony, Nintendo etc. All games published and sold for their consoles must be approved by them. They will also require a percentage of your sales.
You will need to make a deal for distribution with them as well, since you can't 'burn' your own console dvd/cd etc., they are encrypted.
Don't be afraid to be yourself. Nobody else ever will be.
Obscure
Obscure
I don't think that is what he is asking. He is asking how stores get games to sell - its online retailing, rather than publishing.
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
bit64
bit64
Ah yes, you are right. He did say this though:

Quote:
Eventually after this hits off, If it ever does, I want to expand it into a personal video game selling. (Like private individuals selling there pc games on there)


which I took as sort of a publishing situation.
Don't be afraid to be yourself. Nobody else ever will be.
hplus0603
hplus0603
Small retailers typically deal with distributors (such as Ingram, etc), because the publishers don't want to deal with 1000 sales accounts. Thus, as a small-volume retailer, you want to call up the distributors, sign up for an account, and place your orders. Some publishers will deal directly with retailers, and if you're big enough, then they certainly will (to cut out the middle-man). In that case, call up the publisher directly.

Typically, in games retail, the retailer will have the option of returning un-sold stock for full credit. The alternative is that the retailer calls up the publisher, and gives the option of getting a return, or accepting a price cut -- that's how games drop from $49 to $25. Also, it's common that the retailer will not settle (pay) the sale until the units have actually sold through.

If you don't know these things, though, it's un-clear how successful you'll be in this business -- I suggest finding someone with actual retail experience to advise you.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.