Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Wad Maker (v1.1)

Started by Null and Void Oct 25, 2000 at 9:22 PM 12 replies 3.2k views
Original Post
Null and Void
Null and Void
Well, I have finished the 1.1th (not sure how to say that =P) release versino of Wad Maker. The program is meant to be a simple way to combine files and extract them using your own program at run time. The library (CPP File) that comes with them is (of course) meant to be used with C++ program, though I am working to make it compatible with C programs. This is good for those simple programs you want to look more professional, but until the library is enhanced further I wouldn''t suggest it for large scale or produced software. Enjoy: Wad Maker Info Page Download Wad Maker Please report bugs, you can do so from inside the editor!
Null and Void
At least I don't know COBOL...
http://www.crosswinds.net/~druidgames/
Null and Void
Null and Void
Well, besides excusing the numerous typos in my above post, I want to warn anyone how is not using a CSS compatible browser about the website, it is CSS intensive!

Null and Void
At least I don't know COBOL...
http://www.crosswinds.net/~druidgames/

Quantum
Quantum
Error Starting Program
! A required .DLL file, CW3220MT.DLL, was not found.


what did you use to make the program?

from the source it looks promising
although i usually prefer it when programs open, but we cant have everything can we...
Null and Void
Null and Void
Ack! I forgot to put that in with it, I used Borland, and that is part of its standard libraries, I''ll repost with the dll. Thanks for the notice .

I also just fixed a number of filesize tracking errors, and a couple of potentially large memory leaks in the editor''s exe, just so that you know .

Null and Void
At least I don't know COBOL...
http://www.crosswinds.net/~druidgames/

Quantum
Quantum
yay, it works now
its pretty cool
one bug: when you save the wad, are those numbers the file size? if so it starts at 0/2 and ends at 1/2 with 2 files
Null and Void
Null and Void
That is a debug message that evidently got left in, heh. I had to place it in there to help me find out what was causing the problem with the file sizes being saved, I''ve removed that from the exe already, I must have forgot to upload the zip again though .

I fixed some problems with clearing items from the wad. Also, thanks for trying it out, I''m trying to make it into a feasable tool for someone to use one day, knowing someone is trying to mess with it is good encouragement .

Null and Void
At least I don't know COBOL...
http://www.crosswinds.net/~druidgames/

Quantum
Quantum
its actually pretty good inspiration, and a good learning tool
i was wondering how i was going to put all my bitmaps in the one file.. either have a header with the size of each file or have some sort of notice between each file
with yours, you just write how many files and the size of each, right?

its still a pretty nice tool, even if it is lacking zipping


oh, and the debug message, i didn't mean the messagebox was a bug i meant it started at 0 instead of 1 - its small and its only in debug so it doesn't matter

Edited by - Quantum on October 26, 2000 5:53:23 AM
Null and Void
Null and Void
You can get the size of each file (in bytes) by adding a function to the struct like this:

    
DWORD slotSize(unsigned int slot) {
return filesizes[slot];
}



I should add that to it anyway though, incase other people would like it .

Also, compression and encryption (lesser odds than compression) may be added to the program as an optional feature in the future, since they would slow down your game if it had to load anything while running.

I actually store the size of each file, as well as each file''s position (the first byte) so that they can be jumped to more easily.


Null and Void
At least I don't know COBOL...
http://www.crosswinds.net/~druidgames/

Quantum
Quantum
ahh, i see
interesting
anyway, found another small bug in the wad maker:
insert a blank object
clear it
try clearing again - i get an illegal op when i try to do this.
could this be you''re trying to clear the object that was already cleared, because no new objects were selected?

Quantum
Quantum
hmm, an idea for a feature:
a function that returns in bytes, the offset of a slot from the beginning of the file, given the slot number
woudn''t be too hard to implement
and very useful
Null and Void
Null and Void
Well, that was fairly simple to correct. I''ve reuploaded the zip to the website. The problem was that when you clear something I delete the node that holds that file''s path, and the pointer I use to tell me which node is currently selected continued to point to it.

So, I made the pointer indicate the node that was deleted''s parent, so that it would no longer cause access violations . I''ll add that function to the library (I''ve already added one that puts the file pointer at the beginning of a slot).

Null and Void
At least I don't know COBOL...
http://www.crosswinds.net/~druidgames/

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.